• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Well as usual I am going to start with my usual disclaimer that as I am writing this I have no Idea where this is going so just go with it... As usual when I need to wake up at a certain time my body naturally wakes up 5 minutes before the alarm. So I was awake at 6:40 AM and since I was excited for the days fest I showered and was pretty much ready at 6:50 AM when my dad woke up. So I rechecked to make sure I had my camera and good batteries and such. We left the house at about 7:20 AM. Enough with this lets get to rails!! We drove up a snowy and empty parkway to Metropark Station where we found a spot in the garage and headed to the ticket machines. While my dad bought the tickets I ran inside the station to grab the 3 lines on NJT switching to a new schedule starting today. So tickets now in hand we walked up to the to the platform. WHere we waited and waited and waited and oh yeah waited. Finally an announcement was made saying our train was running 10 to 15 minutes behind. Well it was already 7 minutes late at the time of the announcement so 5 minutes later it showed up and we were on our way. This train was an express past Metropark so we made only 2 stops at Newark LIberty International Airport Station and Newark Penn Station. Before arriving at New York Penn Station our destination. We made our way through Penn Station and stopped at Krispy Creme Doughnuts to score breakfast. With breakfast in hand we made the jaunt over the subway stations. We waited a few moments on the platform where an outbound 2 train arrived. We hopped on here and ate our doughnuts. We were only on this train for one stop. So we got off and walked over to the platform for the shuttle train to take us to Grand Central Terminal. Which showed up in a few minutes later. We got on and finished our breakfast and arrived in GCT just a few minutes later. Me and my dad walked around for a few minutes to find a restroom. After going to the bathroom and washing up I shot a text message to Kevin asking if everyone was still at the meeting spot and not at a train platform. He confirmed that they were still in the main room. I spotted them walked over and introduced myself. A round of handshakes followed and I tried to connect peoples online names to there faces and then there real world names. This was the toughest part, so I just called everyone sir or ma'am out of respect. Since all though I am part of the group, they are my senior and should be respected. Anyhow, I stood and chatted with the group then we found that the track had been confirmed as 29, and made our way over. As per the usual OTOL procedure (as far as I've read anyway since this is my first fest) we boarded near the front of the train. We all manged to grab seats together in the car. I sat with Bill, and my dad. Alan joined us a minute later and sat behind me. I didn't really sweat OTP so I have no idea if we left on time. However, we did leave and before I knew it we were talking about the switch of power from third-rail to over head. The rest of the ride went well. It was nice to meet and speak to all the forum members. As well as getting to know some people who I had never really spoken to before. Thats how I remember the ride to New Haven, the scenery was great and looked different in the snow. We got to New Haven and were a little upset that it was not going to be a cross platform so we had to go down some stair walk a little then back up another set of stairs and on board to our Shore Line East train. The Shore Line East trip went well and things were very nice on this part. Lou knew the area well and provided commentary for the run. We ran left handed into a few stations. I have no idea where but it worked out and I think we were on time. Luckily we were able to wait on board the train. Which worked well. Although as with most I elected to take a short walk around the station. I walked forward to shoot some engine shots. Then up to the overpass between stations and back. Then returned to the train to discuss lunch, which by this time I was eagerly awaiting by this point. The return was uneventful and went by a little to quickly. We went over to lunch at the Sabarro (Spelling) and had some pizza and conversation at lunch. Where we talked about all sorts of different things. A poor member of our group got stuck next to a baby in First Class which surprised me that some parents would pay for a first class seat for a baby. Once we had all completed our meals. We went up to the main hall in New Haven and waited with some other members catching Amtrak back home. Me and my dad chatted with a few people under the board. Then we all found that our train was supposed to be leaving on track 12 I think it was. When thanks to those members who were plugged in on there scanners we were informed that it was actually going to come in on track 8. So we moved over to track 8 and were boarded on our train back to New York. :( This fest was going by a little to fast for my liking. The ride back into New York was a pretty full train. Most of us ended up sitting with others. My dad took this time to get a little sleep. Thats really all I remember (3 hours after haha). I just looked out the window pretty much the whole time. The train became and express passed Stamford so just before getting to Harlem 125th street we all began to say our good byes. We all discussed how we were going to make certain connections. Most of us agreed we going to take the same shuttle to Time Square. So that ride left a group of us riding the subway together. There was a group of us in the back car. I was talking with Alan about future plans and the new ACES service. As well as Piotr (spelling sorry). The shuttle ended and we all stepped off. Alan was helping the Hammonds get to the E train so we walked a little further together and then went our separate ways. That left, my dad, Piotr, Ellis, and John standing on the 123 platform. This is where things got fun. Piotr had a scanner and was informing us that a train went into Emergency somewhere down the line. So we all were standing on the platform debating the next move as long as setting a maximum wait time before trying our luck with other options. John decided to walk it and left us there. A minute or 2 later a train finally did arrive it was on the express track. Which to me made me think that it wasn't going to make the stop, silly me. It did make it to Penn Station a minute later and Piotr dashed for his train that was leaving in a few minutes. Me and my dad looked up on the board for the track of our train. We saw that it was boarding on 6 so we went down. The doors weren't open yet, so we stood outside the door until they opened. The ride how was a local so we made quite a few stops until we arrived at Metropark on time. As we were stepping off we saw John sitting there so glad to see he made it. Since he was trying to make a connection in Trenton to SEPTA. Then we stepped off and watched our train roll away, and that was my first fest. Overall I had great time and it was awesome to meet everyone. I look forward to future fest!! Thanks to Kevin for planning the fest. EDIT: Added John's name in the proper spots

Edited by Long Train Runnin', 19 January 2009 - 10:29 PM.

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82607 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:49 PM

Steve, Thanks for your recollections of yesterday's events. Mine's coming, but you will probably be wearing shorts and craving air conditioning by the time you get to read it. :D

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 NJCoastExp

NJCoastExp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

That was John. I am glad he made the train too. I also made my train with 3 minutes to spare, and was able to snag my favorite seat on the home-bound train.

This is train 3267, 5:43 Long Branch express with connection to Bay Head. South Amboy is next. First and last cars are Quiet Cars. All tickets please.

#4 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

Great Report Steve, It was a pleasure to meet you and your dad. Jack

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox
World Series Champs 2004, 2007, 2013, 2018

New England Patriots

Super Bowl Champs 2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017

#5 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

Steve,

Thanks for your recollections of yesterday's events.

Mine's coming, but you will probably be wearing shorts and craving air conditioning by the time you get to read it. :D

Thats fine. At this point lol I'm craving those days where I can wear shorts and enjoy Air Conditioning! :D

#6 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

That was John. I am glad he made the train too.
I also made my train with 3 minutes to spare, and was able to snag my favorite seat on the home-bound train.

Glad you made the train!

I have to ask which is your favorite seat? B)

#7 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

Great Report Steve, It was a pleasure to meet you and your dad.

Jack

Same to you! It was a great time

Note to admins/mods: Sorry to triple post I wanted to reply to everyones but couldn't seem to get them to all group together :(

#8 NJCoastExp

NJCoastExp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

Left side three-seater, without window post obstructing view, close to back of cab/first car of the train. :rolleyes: :o

This is train 3267, 5:43 Long Branch express with connection to Bay Head. South Amboy is next. First and last cars are Quiet Cars. All tickets please.

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82607 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:37 AM

Left side three-seater, without window post obstructing view, close to back of cab/first car of the train. :rolleyes: :o

A seat that is also comfortable enough to kneel on, while leaning over the top facing the person behind you (and while wearing big headphones)..... :D :D

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

I will have to try that seat out. I usually sit toward the back so I can see the engine on a nice curve.

Ive never seen him do that though Kev. :lol: :lol: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users