• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:45 PM

As I suspect many members know, Kevin Korell along with his son Michael, is currently on an Amtrak trip to Florida. This trip, to visit with his snow bird parents in Florida during Michael's spring break has become an annual event, plus a source of many trip reports. :) Thanks to the wonder of technology, namely cell phones with text messaging, he's keeping me apprised of things much like I did with him during my Chicago trip. Kevin departed tonight from Philadelphia on train #97 the Silver Meteor. After waiting in the Club Acela lounge, Kevin & Michael departed Philly at 9:03 running 22 minutes late. His next report came from Washington DC, where he informs me that Amtrak apparently over sold the train. There are currently 20 rather upset passengers who were sitting in the lounge car, as the train departed WAS. :o Kevin didn't include the departure time in his note, but since I received the email at 11:20 I have to believe that the train hasn't lost any more time. Hopefully things will hold together for Kevin & Michael and they won't loose any more time between here and Florida. :)
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#2 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 10:19 AM

This morning's update finds Kevin & Michael leaving Fayetteville at 6:04, running 1 hour and 38 minutes down. According to Amtrak Train Status, the last report at 9:26 had them running between Charleston & Yamassee 1 hour and 22 minutes down. Thanks to padding, Amtrak Status is currently estimating an arrival of 22 minutes early.
Alan,

#3 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 11:44 AM

Kevin reports that they departed Savanah at 11:01, running 1 hour and 17 minutes down. He also had the pleasure of seeing the AOE train, which was apparently sharing the platform with 97.
Alan,

#4 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 05:30 PM

I haven't heard from Kevin, since earlier this morning. However Amtrak status reported their train leaving JAX at 2:07 PM, 1 hour and 25 minutes late. As of 5:14 the train was reported in Winter Park, now down 1 hour and 54 minutes. Current predicted arrival time into Winter Haven, Kevin & Michael's stop, is 6:37 PM or 1 hour 28 minutes late. That's not too bad.
Alan,

#5 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 06:52 PM

Well Amtrak reports that Kevin & Michael have indeed arrived in Winter Haven at 6:42 tonight. That leaves them 1 hour and 33 minutes late, which ain't that bad for that run. :)
Alan,

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 03 April 2004 - 11:05 PM

Yes we're here in Florida, having arrived 6:42 PM starving. After a nice buffet dinner in Winter Haven, we drove about another hour to my parents' place here in New Port Richey. It was a decent trip, as predicted just another mundane trip on Silver Service. Things haven't changed. I started tracking our train's progress from the Club Acela in PHL before it even left New York. It was already late by the time it got to Newark, NJ, so I knew we'd be in trouble. We lost a lot of time in Washington. First there was that overbooking problem. 20 people had noplace to sit, so they were asked to sit in the lounge car until something became available. Unfortunately, from what I heard on the scanner, nobody was being discharged from the train until Florence, SC the next morning. So the booths in the lounge car became a hotel for 16 people (one family of 4 refused the offer and asked to be let off the train in WAS). Then once that was done, the engineer reported a hot box indication in one of the coaches. Remember we had just gotten our diesel engine, so this did not show up out of New York. Somebody from the station mechanical had to board the train and he checked all of the circuit boxes in each car. No problems were found, so the train was eventually released with the bogus indication still lit. We were out of WAS 40 minutes down. I slept from about Quantico, VA through the rest of Virginia and most of North Carolina. I woke up when the train wsa in the Fayetteville, NC station, and we were 1 hour 20 minutes down by then. We ranged anywhere from there to 1:45 down for the rest of the trip. I was also in text-message contact with Viewliner, who was on the SILVER STAR, #91(2), who had also seen the AOE train in the Savannah station. His train was similarly about 1-1/2 hours late. Well I said before some things never change. Until we got to Palatka, FL I had heard not one station announcement on our PA system. Some people were startled to learn they were already in their destination stations. The bathrooms were attrocious (one of ours was flooded and smelled musty early into our trip). I had to stand in water to brush my teeth (at least I think it was water). At our seats, Michael's tray table and foot rest were not working right. My leg rest kept on going down. One of our overhead light bulbs was burnt out. We saw #90(2) in Florence, awaiting our station work to be done. We also had a meet with #98(3) between Palatka and Deland, and had to wait in the hole just north of Deland's station for the northbound AUTO TRAIN to pass. We also passed #92(3) between Winter Park and Orlando. Now a week of relaxation, and then it's back on the rails for more fun next weekend! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 05:01 PM

Kevin and Michael are one again back onboard Amtrak, this time on the northbound Silver Star. The train, which they caught at Winter Haven, left Miami on schedule but had lost 19 minutes by the time it reached Deerfield. It lost still more time into West Palm Beach leaving their 23 minutes late. According to Kevin, he marked departure from WTH at 2:54, Amtrak however marked their departure at 2:55 PM. The seem to be expecting a rather big crowd for this train as it is running with 2 bags, and 5 coaches. Kevin also reported that there was quite a line at Orlando waiting to board, which further delayed them, as they departed 27 minutes late at 4:20. Kevin also tells me that one of our other members, Viewliner with whom he's in contact with, is currently headed northbound on the Silver Meteor. The Meteor however is doing better, having left Jacksonville only 2 minutes late.
Alan,

#8 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:47 PM

The final two reports for the night from Kevin, have him running down 32 minutes at Savannah. The AOE consist is still sitting there, although he reports that passengers were on board the train. Additionally, they also picked up a second engine along with 11 box cars in Jacksonville. Finally Kevin tells me that he was in error before and that there are only 4 coaches, not 5.
Alan,

#9 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 11:20 AM

By and large Amtrak's time keeping has been pretty good for Kevin & Michael. Kevin's first report for the morning finds them being 8 minutes down at RGH and 16 down at RMT. The second report found them leaving Richmond only 20 minutes late, which should probably guarantee and on time arrival further up the NEC. They rolled past the Auto Train sitting in its station at Lorton at 10:50 this morning. Kevin's final report so far mentions that Viewliner's train the Meteor got in 28 minutes early this morning. However, apparently one of his family's suitcases didn't arrive with the train. They are hoping that the suitcase is actually onboard Kevin's train.
Alan,

#10 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 11:49 AM

In what I expect will be Kevin's last report live from the train, he tells me that they were running 28 minutes down at Baltimore. Predicted arrival into Philly is 1:24 PM, only 4 minutes late. Kudos to both Amtrak & CSX for keeping this train basically on time. :) This should get Kevin home in plenty of time for chat tonight.
Alan,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users