#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

I have no problem with dining at Union Station. I think we shied away from downtown once we saw how expensive things can be. It may be worth a few extra dollars to not have to travel or walk too far.  I also don't mind waiting until 5 PM for dinner, although it might be easier to accommodate a large group if we sat down earlier.  Obviously being a facility with a Club Acela and most of us qualify to be in there, and could bring others in as "guests", we have a place to kill some time after a 3:30 PM arrival.  I'd also get an extra Amtrak tier qualifying segment out of it since the 7 PM train I reserved WAS-ALX is ensured whereas it would not have worked with the necessary travel time to and from Largo.   But I was willing to endure the Blue Line back from Largo to Alexandria via its dark tunnels under Foggy Bottom if it was for the best interests of the group.

It's surprising that Penny was told something different from the policy they put on the menu.  We also potentially could have twice as many showing up depending on who stays in Washington and who goes home after the train rides. If need be there is also nothing wrong with a group of 16 splitting into 2 tables of 8 , or even 4 tables of 4 as long as we're close by. They also say there is a 17% gratuity added for groups of 7 or more, which I can live with since it eliminates need to figure out tips for ourselves, and other places can be 18% or 20% for large groups.

Uno might work too (as our Chicagoan suggested  :)  ) as their menu is quite varied, although I don't see prices.  But they  are not just a pizzeria and have steaks, chicken dishes, pasta, soups, etc.

My apologies if my comments came across the wrong way. However it stimulated dialogue we could have had in December.

Edited by KevinKorell, 04 January 2015 - 03:25 PM.
add comment about Uno

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43535 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:50 PM

I had 2 concerns when Largo came to light. 

Although not a big deal, I was surprised at seeing a location at the far end of the Metrorail system, given the "official" fest activities ending downtown. 

My bigger concern is the "hike distance."  Assuming we "cut through" the hike will be somewhat less than the 1/2 mile "public hike" (calculated by MapQuest;" but still substantial.  I'll be OK if this walk is taken at a "normal" walking pace; however I will suffer (knee replacement pending) if we move out at a fast pace, as has been done on some previous fests. 

Regards,

Ross

#13 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

If you know me well enough, when you put any distance between me and my dinner, the walking gait is going to be quick.  :D  It is usually slower afterwards.

As we all grow older we may have to arrange for a shuttle service to get us to eateries not exactly next to a train station or may have to settle for places that will deliver to the train station!  :unsure:

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#14 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

Dick recently had back surgery, so the walk may be challenging for him also..... even though the surgery was a great success.  Dick is even older than I am.   :lol:

#15 shanghai

shanghai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:57 PM

How do you know that I am older than you, Penny?  I walk fast when Archie is pulling me to go faster!!

Are there taxis in Washington?

#16 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

I ate at Center Cafe a couple of years ago....

For information, I attached the Center Cafe dinner menu.  It's a little tricky to get to on the website.

Seems even trickier here, does anyone else get this when trying to access it?

http://www.flickr.co...70/16174980496/

Edited by jacorbett70, 04 January 2015 - 08:04 PM.

#17 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:09 PM

John, I got the same thing.  I found a menu on line at menu pages website.

http://washingtondc....enter-cafe/menu

#18 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:15 PM

You have to go to the restaurant site.  Click "menus."  Then, click on "Dinner." Nothing will happen (tricky!), but if you then click "Print," a doc of the menu will download.

#19 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

You have to go to the restaurant site.  Click "menus."  Then, click on "Dinner." Nothing will happen (tricky!), but if you then click "Print," a doc of the menu will download.

I think Kevin just fixed your link/attachment and it works now.  Only admins were able to access it previously.  Apparently John and I are peons.  :lol:

#20 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:24 PM

Kevin fixed the link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users