#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82610 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

Steve and I have been discussing options related to dining in the cities we will be visiting. I thought this discussion should be done publicly since it involves everyone.

As always, breakfast will be everyone's own responsibility. Many hotels offer breakfast included in the room rate, so why not take advantage of it? And there's always McDonald's and other places, particularly in Chicago Union Station.

Tuesday, 7/17 in Chicago - Lunch: On your own. Fest officially begins with the departure of the Southwest Chief at 3:00 PM, but many will be arriving from the east in the morning, including currently 5 on the Lake Shore Limited. This group may opt to use one of the food courts in Union Station or nearby Ogilvie Transportation Center, or perhaps pizza.

Wednesday 7/18 and Thursday 7/19 in Albuquerque - Dinners: Both days we are scheduled to wrap up our train riding around 4 PM, respectively with the arrivals of the Southwest Chief on Wednesday and the RailRunner from Belen on Thursday. We are looking at some diner-type places in downtown Albuquerque, mostly east of the station area (the station is west of the tracks so it involves crossing over at the nearest street bridge). I suppose another alternative if we don't find much the first evening could be to have dinner at one of the hotels.

Thursday 7/19 in Santa Fe - Lunch: There are some decent looking places in the Santa Fe Railyards area where we will be arriving & departing. We have about 1-3/4 hours there. Consider the menus at Flying Star Cafe and Second Street Brewery. Also in the nearby Shops at Sanbusco, there is an Italian restaurant called Pranzo although it may be a bit too pricey for lunch.

Saturday 7/21 in Chicago - Dinner: I'm always trigger-shy about making plans following arrival of a long distance train in Chicago. Upon arrival no doubt we are going to want to get to our respective accommodations and relax for the night. So dinner that evening has not been discussed. If anyone wants to explore this further, perhaps checking into hotels and then re-convening later, let me know.

Sunday 7/22 in Chicago - Lunch: This is definitely programmed for the food court in Ogilvie TC. We have almost 2 hours there between riding the Pink Line and departure from the same station for Kenosha.

Sunday 7/22 in Kenosha - Dinner: This is a tough one. We've been victim before to smaller cities that pull in their sidewalks on Sundays. We have identified at least one pizza place within a block or two of the streetcar line that should be open and may be our solution. We must ride the streetcar first upon arrival in Kenosha since it stops running at 5:30. Most likely we would do one full circuit, and then a little more to get off near this pizza place. Steve will check on this further, but we are figuring that during our northward Metra trip we could see how many slices each person wants (have to go with all plain slices to simplify things) and then phone in an order so it's ready when we arrive. It might also be more prudent to order some as whole pies. Then afterwards we would have to walk several blocks back to the Kenosha station to catch the train back to Chicago.

Monday 7/23 in Chicago - Lunch: This has to be early and on your own. Our Metra trip to Manhattan leaves at 12:35 PM. So I suggest eating at or near Union Station around 11 or 11:30 AM the latest.

=======================

Your input and comments are always welcome since this is a group event. If anyone knows of a specific place not mentioned that might be suitable and affordable for everyone, please share it.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:32 PM

Ill check on the Kenosha thing in the next week or so. That will be good use of planning time.

#3 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Well IMHO the Flying Star seems to have a much more extensive menu than the Second Street Brewery does. So I'd be leaning towards the Flying Star first. After that, while pricier, Pranzo does sound good. So I think that'd be the second choice.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82610 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

I agree with regards to Santa Fe.

To add to the ABQ discussion, I think that the first night, the priority will be to get our luggage to hotels and check-in, so that would be better for a hotel dinner, and perhaps the second evening we can venture elsewhere for dinner before retiring for the night.

The majority of the group in ABQ (so far) is staying at the Doubletree. They have a restaurant called La Oja. I found a menu for this restaurant at another location here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:47 PM

Two suggestions for an informal dinner in ABQ.

located about a block and a half west of the station..
JC's New York Pizza Department

There is also a brew pub located about a block west of the station.
Chama River Brewing Co.
This one may not be open at this location

No personal experience with either.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82610 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

No, but you DO have personal experience with Subway, which does offer another option. :D

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

No, but you DO have personal experience with Subway, which does offer another option. :D

ROTFLMAO. Kevin that One made me smile. Nothing like rail fest humor.

#8 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Hopping off Amtrak during an extended stop and hitting a Subway or a Starbucks is the sort of thing I really enjoy doing. It adds a little variety and excitement to the trip.

To me, riding an Amtrak LD train is like rolling through the countryside inside a hermetically-sealed tube. You're there, but not really there. When possible, it is nice to get off, away from the station, and be a part of the locality, even if just for a few minutes. Unfortunately, the SWC trip to ABQ does not offer any opportunities for my off-the-train hi-jinx. The only extended stop on #3 is Kansas City. I've been to KC, and can say without hesitation that there is nothing to do or see in downtown Kansas City at 10pm.

I'm suspecting that downtown Albuquerque is also ghost town after 6pm. I'm not sure how wise it is to be walking around after hours. The tourist area, Old Town, is a bit removed from downtown, so getting there for dining or touring would be a cab ride. It looks like the Hyatt has a decent restaurant, so I'll probably do that one night. I would certainly be willing to walk over to the Doubletree as well.

#9 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

Right now I am booked at the Hyatt. That is also within walking distance of the station without luggage. With luggage, I'll take a cab.

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82610 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

The Hyatt restaurant is called Forque. I believe one needs to exercise caution in pronouncing this -- it's akin to the eating utensil.

The dinner menu: http://www.hyatt.com...Dinner_Menu.pdf

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users