#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Use this thread to post reports from the group's trip on the Southwest Chief, Train #3(17) from Chicago to Albuquerque.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

In 330 car we have victor, an excellent sca. AC works. New touch controls for lights and sca call button. We boarded right at 2:15.

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Yep. Victor is a hall of famer. Just got a hot towel!! This is michaeal Jordan type hall of fame.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

We had attendant Anna Marie in our car, and she was great in her own right. No we didn't get hot towels, and I didn't see her helping with much luggage, but she was over the top in politeness and willingness to offer any guidance or help in making our trips more comfortable. She knew her stuff, and I think she mentioned working for 45 years, which would predate Amtrak. She definitely earned our respect and our gratitude. Now we cannot tell the story of this trip without the dining car staff. They were also wonderful. The LSA Pauline was great in accomodating our large group (although she did make an error in seating us with the last meal - lunch). She also helped out taking care of one half of half the car (or a quarter), while another server Tonisha had the other side of the aisle (we never were seated at Tonisha's tables). But the real prize IMO was Andria (spelled with an "I"). She was highly professional, and efficient. She did a great job taking the orders, and serving them quickly and correctly. IMO the crew on our run of #3(17) set the bar. We hope that the crews we get on our eastbound trip on #4(19) on Friday can meet those standards!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'll second the praise for Victor. He brought cups of juice, water, and coffee to each room as a pre-departure howdy-do. Then the hot towels were delivered (and again on day 2). He was always there when you needed him. I actually had to nearly tackle him to prevent him from taking by bag downstairs at ABQ (I greatly prefer handling my own bags). My only complaint was the 330 car was too cold. That may seem like a dumb complaint when the outdoor temp is pushing 100, but the car was not just too cool, it was downright frigid. Victor did his best, and actually gave out second blankets, but at times the temperature was really uncomfortable. But, the toilets worked, and duct tape was not needed, so on average, the car was OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users