19 replies to this topic

#11 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

I forgot we're riding street cars. do we have time upon arrival into kenosha for a group photo or wait till after we're done with everything there and while were waiting for the return train.

Edited by amtrakwolverine, 12 July 2012 - 02:02 AM.

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

I forgot we're riding street cars. do we have time upon arrival into kenosha for a group photo or wait till after we're done with everything there and while were waiting for the return train.

I would lean towards boarding a streetcar ASAP, if one is available. Since they stop running for the day at 5:15 I believe, we at least want to get our one circuit in before that happens. If we have a friendly operator I am sure there would be another opportunity, such as when we return to the same location by the station. If he or she isn't leaving right away when we get there, then maybe we can do it right away. The plan is however to ride it 1-1/4 times around, so that we get off closest to where we will have dinner. That isn't to say we can't do it in the Metra station as well later on if time allows.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

It was a thought. one group shot a day will suffice do the one in CUS then Monday maybe do one at Manhattan for those who are left.

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

One necessary bit of pre-Fest housekeeping that I must do is the editting of the itinerary document, The purpose is to add a new column by splitting the "time" column into "planned time" and "actual time". This allows us to compare how we eventually made out compared to what was planned. The second, new column will be blank for starters, but as we travel each day, and I can upload the changes from hotels, you'll start seeing those boxes filling in. So you may see it "under construction" through Friday & this weekend, until the deed is complete. I'll give the all clear when it's done in case Alan or anyone else wishes to make a .pdf file out of it. No time changes are being made to the itinerary, just the new column.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:35 AM

I can be the "official photographer" for this fest. Unless somebody else is doing it.

#16 MistyOLR

MistyOLR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

I'm not promising anything "official", but you bet I'm going to have my camera and phone handy to take pictures in Chicago. :) (and admit it, for SERF being phone only, the pictures looked pretty decent :P)

Technicalities suck and legal name changes are a mess after it happens.

#17 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

The itinerary update is complete, as the new column has been added throughout. Also during the process, I made an error and inadvertantly wiped out an entire day. So if you printed it out or saved it within the past 24 hours, check it and if needed reprint or resave it.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

Weather: Looks like the USA may be seeing another heat wave, including one affecting Chicago early next week. Remember we are passing through there Tuesday 7/17, and will be back there the following weekend. Don't overdress, and prepare for oppressive heat. Bring water bottles to keep yourselves hydrated. Once we're on the train we only need to worry about heat kinks. In another direction, Hurricane Fabio off the west coast of Mexico may track up to the north, possibly affecting the southwestern USA. More then likely if hurricane conditions make landfall, they won't be as bad by the time they have encountered mountains. So I would not be too concerned about something like this hitting Albuquerque, but still it bears watching if we might get monsoon-like rains.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

Weather:

Looks like the USA may be seeing another heat wave, including one affecting Chicago early next week. Remember we are passing through there Tuesday 7/17, and will be back there the following weekend. Don't overdress, and prepare for oppressive heat. Bring water bottles to keep yourselves hydrated. Once we're on the train we only need to worry about heat kinks.

Not to mention A/C failures too, which are way more likely than heat kinks. OTOH heat related speed restrictions..... well, that can do a job on OTP, but we have enormous amount of padding in ABQ in our schedule. :)

Fortunately we should all be in Chicago before temps go above mid-80s so any heat related restrictions should not kick in by the time we get in.

In another direction, Hurricane Fabio off the west coast of Mexico may track up to the north, possibly affecting the southwestern USA. More then likely if hurricane conditions make landfall, they won't be as bad by the time they have encountered mountains. So I would not be too concerned about something like this hitting Albuquerque, but still it bears watching if we might get monsoon-like rains.

The weather forecast for ABQ at present is 95 to 100 degree F days, fair to partly cloudy for the days we are there. See http://www.wundergro...w:87101.1.99999

At night though in typical desert style temps go down to low 60s.

Chicago during our two stays one brief and one longer appears to be partly cloudy with 20%chance of precip and 97 degrees F for the short stay on Tuesday and then clear to partly cloudy on Saturday and Sunday temps ranging between 88 and 90. See http://www.wundergro...w:60290.1.99999

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Well I'm about ready to get this bad boy going (both the Fest and myself). I'm at a point where if anything is forgotten, it becomes an expense later on when I buy it. The 4 hours of sleep should bode well for sleeping tonight on the train. Remember if anyone's plans change at the last minute, or they run into problems, the contact listing I sent to participants hasn't changed so please make use of it and let me know. I'll see some of you in New York this afternoon, one in Albuquerque, and the rest on one of our passes through Chicago! I set up report topics for each segment of the trip, so please start recounting your trips in the proper threads there. It will be helpful later on as I try to tie all this together in the one big report. Shortly after 8 this morning, I did a text check to all participants on the contact list -- to verify I had the correct emergency numbers and that you can communicate back. Most have already responded back. Have a good trip and see you soon! For those who can't make it, I hope you will find the means to travel vacariously with us, as we will let you know how things went every day where possible.

Edited by KevinKorell, 16 July 2012 - 07:14 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users