Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43535 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 10:03 PM

UPRR InsideTrack, 3/6/24

Near Miss Illustrates Need for Constant Safety Vigilance

By Terry Hanken, senior manager-Train Operations

Railroaders can’t become complacent or lose respect for the heavy equipment they work around every day. A close call early in my career brought that message home for me and underscored why safety must always be top of mind.

The incident happened in 2000, two years after I began working as a conductor in Herington, Kansas, a small town about two hours west of Kansas City. I was riding on a locomotive while building a train in a rail yard. I stepped off the engine, never looking back, and proceeded to stand on the crossties of the track beside the engine. My engineer quickly cautioned me that a railcar was rolling down the track beside me – a railcar I had released earlier and had forgotten about. I glanced over my shoulder and stepped aside as the car quietly rolled by.

I never heard it, didn’t remember it, had become complacent. After the car passed, I sat down on the ballast next to the engine for about 10 minutes, in shock. I was angry at myself for forgetting the simplest rule – never foul the rail and always keep your head on a swivel.

Continue here.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users