#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:15 AM

Once again many months of planning comes to a result, as we are within a few days now of our respective departures from home in order to get to the start of Rockies RailFest 2014 in Chicago. That result is a big unknown as this point in time, because never did pessimism reign over optimism as much as it does this year. Amtrak and its host railroads have not been having a great amount of luck in keeping trains running on time from origin to destination. It has many of us checking status of previous runs of their trains for a point of comparison to the trip that they plan to take.

The goal of any OTOL RailFest, and only an OTOL RailFest, is so that people can spend time on the rails, riding as much as they can in a given city, whether it be light rail, heavy rail, commuter rail, or intercity rail such as Amtrak. The goal is also to have fun riding trains, while at the same time turning it into a learning experience. Now when we subsequently see items posted on our board about a particular rail line, we will have a better understanding of it, having been there and experienced it ourselves.

For those who scheduled what seemed to be simple connections through New York and Chicago or both, while points redemption may have been the reason, the recent reality is that trains have been many hours late.

As I said earlier, there is no Plan B. Nor C or D. Some might have the means to continue, either by bridging a gap by air, or taking a later train 24 hours after original departure time. Others who are constrained by various financial issues such as credit balances, shortage of cash, inability to afford last minute Amtrak tickets to go elsewhere may very well choose to remain in the Midwest. Last minute short trips can be thought up and executed to salvage at least some rail riding. Some riding of either Amtrak or Metra can be drummed up quickly.

See my other thread about Reports from the Fest. Your reports will help all of us convey what things are like for us, and to help in the preparation of the Fest trip report.

I'm not going to go into morning meeting places, since those places are almost new to me. Unless otherwise communicated to everyone on the trip, we will meet at the Club Acela in New York, Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago Union Station, Central Station in Salt Lake City, and Denver Union Station.

Now let's get out there and have fun! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:30 AM

It would be nice if one or more of the core participants who will be with the group from start to end could volunteer to be photographer or videographer. Recent Fests have only produced no more than several pictures of us posing or in action on or near trains. The past few winters, that number was zero. We need somebody, who would either be the above said photographer, or another person along on our trip to be the catalyst who would make sure that when we get to photo points that we pose for a group photo. These could be near trains at the endpoint stations, or quickly at a main station where our train is still for a while. Photos can be taken by either a regular camera, or a phone camera. When we do get to an endpoint location, depending on how much time we have to dwell there, please don't all walk away and spread out in different directions. For then if it is decided that this is a photo opportunity, we now have to round up those who left us to reassemble to be in the photo. And when we do pose as a group for pictures, one photographer at a time should be shooting pictures. Otherwise we get more than one of the same picture from different people, plus the group is not as large as it could be if the photographers took their pictures at different times.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

I can take pictures with my iPhone. It's a 5s with a decent camera.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users