#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 10 September 2003 - 11:59 PM

Interesting document I came across, although I did not look to see how old it is. Commuter rail service to Nashua, NH would be an extension beyond Lowell, MA. Interestingly, rather than just continue the MBTA diesel service, a new agency called Granite State Express (GSX) would operate shuttle trains (along with MBTA on the Massachusetts portion of the trip) that would connect with existing MBTA commuter service in Lowell.

You can read this document, which is a study of rail service in this corridor, here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts
  • Interests:Light Rail & Commuter Rail<br>Passenger Rail Stations

Posted 11 September 2003 - 10:34 AM

Kevin, The document, a draft environmental impact statement, carries a date of June 18, 1999. With regard to extending MBTA service to Nashua, I understand that service is to commence some time in October of 2006. Of course any new service depends on availability of funds. BTW, thanks for all the good work you and your colleagues are doing moderating and administering the site. Sloan

#3 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 11 September 2003 - 11:35 AM

with the line a designated high speed corridor any service along the route might entail federal funds for the building. I wonder if this service would tie in with the planned northward extention of the Haverhill Commuter Rail line to Plaistow? that was supposedly closer to happening than any of the other plans.

#4 NickG

NickG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5396 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:06 PM

From the Boston Globe:

With New Hampshire unable to come up with funding to expand commuter rail service, Nashua is pushing ahead with plans to raise the necessary $14 million itself, and city planners believe they have come up with a plan that could serve as a model for other southern New Hampshire communities that want commuter rail service.

The full story is here.
Nick Gibbon

New York, NY/Philadelphia, PA

#5 winwithceltics

winwithceltics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:16 AM

How about getting the county or an association of multiple cities involved? This would spread the cost a bit. Also, the city (or gorup of cities) which puts up the funds would be justified to charge non-citizens an appropriately higher rate to park or have access by bus. I think they are on the right track here. Would love to see this happen.

#6 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 05 November 2004 - 10:28 AM

I believe this is farther along than reported, last I heard(about a year or two ago) the city of Nashua was looking for a place for it's new station and looking to add at least one or more stops along the line...I think even the MBTA was looking at extending the line, a station in nearby Chelmsford was heavily looked at for a stop should Nashua's plans fall through.

#7 NickG

NickG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5396 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 04:13 PM

From the Lowell Sun:

While Nashua officials took a giant step closer to a railroad station for the proposed $70 million Lowell-to-Nashua rail line extension, Chelmsford officials were left wondering why it appears Massachusetts doesn't support a depot in the Bay State.

The full story is here.
Nick Gibbon

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:44 AM

From Destination: Freedom newsletter, 8/22/05:

New Hampshire’s hopes for commuter rail got a boost in the nation’s $286 billion transportation bill, but it didn’t come in the form of new funding for establishing service to Nashua. Instead, Congress simply kept the project going.

New Hampshire Public Radio reported on Thursday just a single line tucked deep inside the massive Transportation bill authorizes bringing rail service from Lowell, Mass. to Nashua.

Full story here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 Jack615

Jack615

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:12 PM

From the Nashua, NH Telegraph, 10/25/05:

It’s the M&Ms, Danishes and doughnuts filling bowls around the train that make clear Monday morning’s ride from Lowell, Mass., to Nashua and Manchester isn’t a typical commuter trip.

http://www.nashuatel...0250035/-1/news

Jack

Edited by NickG, 27 October 2005 - 03:21 PM.

Jack Suslak

Bluffton SC

Boston Celtics
NBA Champs 2008

Boston Bruins 

NHL Champs 2011

Boston Red Sox
World Series Champs 2004, 2007, 2013, 2018

New England Patriots

Super Bowl Champs 2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017

#10 NickG

NickG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5396 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:54 PM

From the Boston Globe, 1/12/06:

Several state representatives and senators from Nashua are pushing the New Hampshire Legislature to pass a joint resolution that would expedite the arrival of commuter rail service to southern New Hampshire.

The full story is here.
Nick Gibbon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users