• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#11 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

What are the hours on these stores? If I come in around 9 or 10 pm will they be open? What if the flight us late and the stores close? Is it possible to pay a cash fare in the bus and then get a metro card at the subway station?I'm use to just buying it at a machine and going on my way.

Don't know about the store hours, but yes you can pay cash on the bus if you have the exact change. The bus will take dollar bills, but no change.

Edited by KevinKorell, 18 December 2010 - 07:19 PM.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 December 2010 - 07:30 PM

Just to clarify, the fare is $2.25 . The bus should take bills and coins, but the driver cannot make change if you give him/her more than that amount.Unfortunately, without the Metrocard you will pay a double fare to get to the Manhattan. With a Metrocard I believe you would get a free swipe going from the bus to the subway had it been used on both.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:27 PM

Unfortunately, without the Metrocard you will pay a double fare to get to the Manhattan. With a Metrocard I believe you would get a free swipe going from the bus to the subway had it been used on both.

Actually I'm not sure just how it works, but you can get a single transfer paper metro-card. Not sure, but I think you have to ask the driver for it.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#14 NJCoastExp

NJCoastExp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:08 AM

Unfortunately, without the Metrocard you will pay a double fare to get to the Manhattan. With a Metrocard I believe you would get a free swipe going from the bus to the subway had it been used on both.

Actually I'm not sure just how it works, but you can get a single transfer paper metro-card. Not sure, but I think you have to ask the driver for it.

But paper transfers work only for bus, they are not accepted on the subway.And no bills for cash fare. COINS ONLY.

This is train 3267, 5:43 Long Branch express with connection to Bay Head. South Amboy is next. First and last cars are Quiet Cars. All tickets please.

#15 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 01:21 AM

Back to the Amtrak fare situation..... those cheaper rates are going away fast. You're up into a new bucket for most of the trip choices on Saturday. Get it while you can before it goes up yet again.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#16 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:11 AM

Just got paid, and I booked the you know what!!! For some reason the multi-city option would not process as one reservation. Annoying. I paid 39 going nyp to Springfield. 14 Springfield to nhv. And 27 to nyp.

#17 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:15 AM

Also, these were all booked in coach. No Bc on this trip. When I tried Bc from Stamford to nyp a few years ago it was packed with no window seats.

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

I am booked in coach as well. There is no benefit to going in BC for such a short trip. And we get 100 points for the trip segments, whether in BC or CC, since the fare is below $50 either way.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

Exactly!!! Looking forward to THEE FEST!!

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

One caution with WebTicket is the pending change that will make tickets only good for 14 days. I assume they will apply the old rules or a grace period to tickets before the 12/30 effective date. However it would not be good to have tickets that expire 14 days after 12/30 if they apply the new rules right away.

http://www.mta.info/.....ved Fares.htm

Today, January 2nd, is 14 days from the day of use .... for all you gambling people out there.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users