#31 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:59 PM

Well I believe that the streetcar system was intended to eventually be color-coded.  The above logo with orange background referred to the South Lake Union streetcar line, and the First Hill streetcar was supposed to be in red.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#32 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:17 AM

And now that I see more of them, they simply look too bland.  I would expect them to be covered with some sort of advertising really soon, probably before they enter revenue service.

One car in the order was paid for by Amazon, for increased service in South Lake Union, so probably will be wrapped up in Amazon.com advertising.

#33 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:29 AM

I heard that testing would begin today (Friday).  I headed down early and my timing was good.  Actually the car wasn't being tested at that point--perhaps it was later--but this was rather a photo-op rollout for the mayor, city director of transportation and other dignitaries, who were onboard.  In the first photo the blue car is breaching the confines of the South Charles Street car barn and maintenance yard.  Next, it crosses South Dearborn Street.  It travels a little way north on 8th Avenue South, then stops.  Shortly afterward, it heads south back into the car maintenance yard. 

Thanks for the photos. I got to see it in the yard coming home from work Saturday night, one of the perks of the 97 shuttles to My. Baker station.

#34 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:24 AM

One thing to think of with the outer appearance is the recent incident in Los Angeles with the Expo Line.  Even with the light rail vehicle wrapped with bright yellow and a warning in big black letters to WATCH THE TRAINS, there was still a crash with such force that it derailed the train.  So if they went with the solid light blue color there would be far less visibility on the streets.  These being streetcars it is even more important for drivers to know that they are there.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#35 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43535 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:31 AM

Progressive Railroading, 5/21:

Seattle Streetcar tests battery-powered vehicles on First Hill Extension

Testing along the Seattle Streetcar's new First Hill Line continued earlier this week, when streetcars completed a low-speed test from the maintenance facility yard into downtown Seattle, according to the Seattle Department of Transportation.

The vehicles, which utilize a rechargeable battery system known as the on-board energy storage system, were able to operate on track with and without overhead wire.

Tests along the line began at the end of April, according to the department's blog.

Continue here.

Blog includes video.

#36 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts
  • Interests:Light Rail & Commuter Rail<br>Passenger Rail Stations

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:50 AM

First Hill streetcars running another month behind

The First Hill Streetcar has fallen another month behind schedule, due to the complexity of Seattle’s new high-tech trains.

http://www.seattleti...r-month-behind/

#37 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

KING-TV, Channel 5 in Seattle, WA, 9/22/15:

Seattle's First Hill Streetcar delayed... again

The First Hill Streetcar may not run this year.

Seattle City Council member, and Seattle's Transportation chief both acknowledged the prospect Tuesday, after more problems have been discovered with the long-delayed project.

Here is the update.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#38 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:23 PM

Very disappointing.  This from the Seattle Transit Blog along with some stinging comments.  By and by it will begin to run and my hope is that the memory of these "hiccups" (to say the least) will fade over time.  Then there is the planned connector along First Avenue downtown to join the two separate lines. (FH and SLU).  If the connector does not have its own dedicated lanes, there will be a revolt in the streets!

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#39 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:28 PM

Well again there is a prime example in the other Washington of a streetcar ready to go for months and yet not yet in service.  I hope Seattle's doesn't end up taking as long as DC's to get going.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#40 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:29 AM

I just hope it gets running soon, so it can prove it's worth. LINK had some ridership issues, but it overcame them. Tomorrow, KING COUNTY METRO routes, 76, 77, 216, 218, 219, and 316, routes that only run peak direction, peak hour, will return to surface running, so LINK can squeeze six minute headways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users