#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

Saturday activities are over.  We did have 15 people involved today, although never at once.  Interesting comings and goings with people joining and leaving all day.  And at one point when we had 14 people involved, we inadvertently split into two groups of seven, later reuniting at Grand Central Terminal.  I will take a little time to sort it out and explain it all to those who weren't along, and will report here later.

The dinner in New Rochelle was very good, and the idea to split into separate smaller groups worked well and got us all out in time for our respective train trips from there.

Good seeing everybody today, and thanks for coming out braving the cold.  For the smaller group expected tomorrow (when it will be potentially colder), we'll endure another one.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:42 PM

Had a great time today. 

Looking forward to another great day tomorrow. 

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:06 AM

It took me a few hours, but I have untangled Day One.

Only  6 people began the Fest at 33rd Street PATH station. That was Dick, Penny, Don, Dave, Steve, and me.  Others would join us later.

At Grove Street PATH where we changed trains, Ted was on the platform, bringing us to 7.  Then on the second PATH train that we boarded at Grove Street, Bill was on that train (although we didn't see him until the World Trade Center), so we had 8 people on the second train.

At the WTC Oculus, we were met by Stephen, Chris, and Ross, bringing the group up to 11 people.  Alan, who was delayed by subways in getting to the start point, instead met us at Fulton Center on the northbound 4 5 platform.  Then the group of 12 rode the 4 train (not the 5) to 14th Street, where we changed to the Q.  Before boarding the Q, Maurice met us, bringing the group to 13. 

We remained steady at 13 people through the Second Avenue Subway round trip.  Since it was cold we did slightly alter the journey by getting off at Times Square and taking a 2 train one stop to be within Penn Station rather than having to walk the long block from Herald Square.   We split at Penn Station for lunch, and then some reconvened in the Club Acela.  Grace met us there, bringing us to our maximum for the day, 14 people.

For the Amtrak Empire Service Train #283, some boarded courtesy of a Redcap, while others did the more conventional means waiting in the queue line.  We had 6 in Business Class, and 7 in Coach Class.  The train was delayed in leaving Penn Station by 23 minutes.  With a 30-minute scheduled dwell for our itinerary in Croton-Harmon and the need for some to purchase paper tickets, we had two options.  We could either remain on board and take a later express train, or we could bail at Yonkers at take another local train getting to Grand Central earlier.   Well we ended up doing both.  Seven of us (Grace, Alan, Dick, Penny, Maurice, Steve, and me) got off in Yonkers and the other seven remained on board to Croton-Harmon.  The Yonkers group took the next local train at 2:33 PM to Grand Central Terminal.  There, Sloan met us while Dick left the group to call it a day. So this portion of the group still had 7 people.  The contingent that went up to Croton-Harmon would have only had 2 minutes after arrival in which to purchase tickets and board the train in the itinerary; however they did have ample time to do their business and then board an express train 12 minutes later that brought them all the way into Grand Central with enough time to meet us and board the intended outbound train for New Rochelle.

14 of us went to New Rochelle for dinner. During the trip we decided to break into three groups of 4 or 5 to expedite the meals and ensure we would be able to make our Amtrak train within the slightly over 2 hours allotted.  That went very well... we all enjoyed our Texas Roadhouse meal and camaraderie over dinner, and all made our onward connections.  Ted decided to take a Metro North train back to New York.  The rest of us (13) boarded Amtrak Regional #165, which left New Rochelle 4 minutes late but got to New York 2 minutes early.  I believe of the 13, we had 5 in Business Class and 8 in Coach Class.   Most of us were headed back to New York City, while Bill and Maurice went to Philadelphia.  Bill was done with the Fest and Maurice would be travelling back to join us on Sunday. Ross was also headed back home to the DC/Virginia area on #165 having completed his participation in the Fest.

The updated the itinerary to show our actual times. To handle the Simul-Fest of 7 and 7, I highlighted the Yonkers group's activities in yellow.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users