#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:59 AM

If you tried to join our Sunday Chat last night (January 19, 2014) and had some security issues, you were not alone. Most of us accessing by desktop or laptop had to make a change to counter Java blocking our chat's web address. Alan said he will research the problem with our software provider, and I'll try to post the solution here before next weekend, once I am out of Fest mode.

Edited by KevinKorell, 20 January 2014 - 08:27 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

Here is how to deal with the problem with a Mac (Java 7 Update 51):

1. Open the Apple drop-down menu (top-left, Apple logo)
2. Select System Preferences
3. Click on the Java icon at the bottom of the window to open the Java Control Panel
4. Select the Security tab
5. Under Exception Site List click on Edit Site List
6. Add the following two site addresses to the exception list (for each override the security objection)
http://www.on-track-on-line.com
http://client0.invisionchat.com
7. Click OK to exit the Edit Site List window and OK again to exit the Java Control Panel
8. Quit (not just close) the browser application

When you re-open the browser and click to enter chat, you will get a security warning. Click Run, and you’re in.

#3 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

Thank you Bill! I just used your instructions on my WIN 7 laptop - and I successfully logged in to chat and sent a message. Here's a few "mods" to Bill's instructions for a Windows computer: 1. Click "Start" (Windows "ball" on lower left using WIN 7) 2. Click "All Programs" 3. Open "Java" Folder 4. Click "Configure Java" Follow Bill's instructions, steps 4 through 8 Note: I "Quit" the program from the "Menu bar" using the "File" dropdown and "Exit." The "Menu bar" may not be activated on your machine. Ross

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Thanks guys for posting the instructions. Everyone feel free to do this anytime before Sunday so you don't miss the Chat session. I won't grumble if you enter the Chat on another day to test it out and generate a daily report.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

In preparation for tonight's chat, I followed the steps on my Windows 7 desktop. I received the "welcome" but nothing happened after that. I will try on my laptop now. Edit: it worked on laptop before new version of Java was installed. Do I need to install new version before chat?? I am a java dummy.

Edited by pennyk, 26 January 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:22 PM

Do I need to install new version before chat??

It would not be a bad idea to do so, especially since the whole process takes me between half an hour and 45 minutes. It's a good idea to de-install the old one before downloading and installing the new one. The machine can detect that you have an old version of JavaŽ and refuse to work right until you feed it the new one. You also may need to reboot once or twice during the process.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

Thanks Kevin. It looks like the chat is now working on my desktop. I will try to load new java on laptop. I appreciate your input. I think I updated but could not figure out how to delete old version. It did not take too long. I rebooted and it looks like I should be able to access chat tonight. :) Thanks.

Edited by pennyk, 26 January 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#8 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

I discovered something changed since last Sunday so I can't get in w/o spending much time with technical stuff on my computer. So I'll prepare for tomorrow's stormy commute instead and worry about it another time.

#9 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

I switched browsers and got in tonight

#10 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:54 PM

Looks like Chat kicked some or all of us out tonight resulting in messages to try and sign on again in a few minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users