• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#11 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

I really like the Saturday to Saturday format out of Chicago. This neatly fits the entire trip within a weeks worth of days off from work, even from new York, provided you can sneak out in early afternoon on Friday, which I usually can. I highy recommend that this be used as a model for future fests in general.

#12 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

I really like the Saturday to Saturday format out of Chicago. This neatly fits the entire trip within a weeks worth of days off from work, even from new York, provided you can sneak out in early afternoon on Friday, which I usually can. I highy recommend that this be used as a model for future fests in general.

Well it depends on what we're doing, where, and how long it takes most to get to/from Chicago. Some activities are limited in when they can be done -- for example the Platte Valley Trolley in Denver only runs on Friday-Saturday-Sunday. Many commuter or transit lines have more service on weekdays, and better lend themselves to having us visit during the weekdays. Some only run weekdays, such as VRE.

I note too that a Saturday to Saturday format would allow use of the Cardinal to/from the east coast either way on its thrice-weekly schedule.

That said, my work week tends to be less conventional than most, although that should change soon. Not every workplace gives weeks off - some allow one to take days off as needed.

Bottom line - every Fest is a puzzle whose pieces have to fit together just right in order to maximize our rail activities. Complicating this there could be a day or two added in Chicago as we did in 2012.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#13 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

Yes, of course. This can only be one factor among many to take into consideration.

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:18 AM

Well I can tell you this: Given how expensive the RRF event in July 2014 is shaping up to be, I no longer am entertaining any notions of doing anything else this year. Aside from the 8 days the Fest will take from Chicago west and back to Chicago, I may wish to do other rail things (accompanied or not) before heading back east. Formal online announcement to come once I establish enough web pages to point to. And I'm still cleaning up from the last one earlier this month. As for Washington, DC and the eventual opening of the streetcar and the Metro Silver Line: As of yet there are no definitive opening dates for either one. Whenever they both happen maybe some go there to ride them informally. But this makes an excellent activity for January 2015, since it's a non-Presidential inauguration year.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:22 AM

Washington is good for me in 2015. I've ridden most of it do it will be fun to fill in the missing spots.

#16 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

The order in which I have future Fests listed on my website has no bearing on the order in which we will eventually do them. A lot depends on new lines meeting their projected opening dates, and also where the group agrees to go next. We know where we are going this summer, but we should have an idea by then what we might be doing the following summer, so that we can have our obligatory discussion in person about it. Either one or both of the future Fests based in Texas may be eligible by 2015, as would Minneapolis/St. Paul. A re-visit to St. Louis would be in tandem with an initial visit to Kansas City, which has to wait until at least 2016 because the latter city's streetcar won't be open until the end of 2015. As currently written, these are linked into one Fest with time allotted for Chicago activities as well. They could easily be disconnected into separate Fests, and as I sit here always thinking of new ideas, KCY and STL could easily be added to one of the Texas trips by adding that element to either the start or end of the journey. Imagine taking the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Kansas City, staying in Kansas City overnight, spending the next morning doing the KC Streetcar, taking the Missouri River Runner that afternoon, staying in St. Louis overnight, catching up on the MetroLink light rail the next day, and then continuing to Texas on the Texas Eagle that evening. Again what we do beyond 2014 (and Washington in January 2015) depends on how quickly things come online and what ends up being the easiest way to work out things to maximize our train riding.

Edited by KevinKorell, 03 February 2014 - 08:33 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#17 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:31 PM

I could do imagine that very easily.

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:16 PM

I could do imagine that very easily.

Do imagine no more.
Also reworked that homepage with the older and new longer options, now known as red and purple.

Edited by KevinKorell, 14 February 2014 - 09:46 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

Aloha

Should the Summer Rockies RailFest depart Chicago on July 7 those on Board might meet the X-train participants on the CZ. Here is a link to X-Train Event Don't let any of their officials know if you are 60 or over as for their March event there are no tickets available for those past 59. They are calling it a singles and mingle so I guess they think no one of those ages are single and want to meet anyone or even go to the first event in their first 2 cars. :rolleyes:

Edited by GG-1, 16 February 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#20 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Should the Summer Rockies RailFest depart Chicago on July 7

It's not.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader