#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:17 AM

Yes they couldn't get enough. A number of Fest participants got together once more on the Monday holiday for some train riding and lunch. I met the group by car at Gennaro's Pizza in Staten Island after they had ridden part of the MTA Staten Island Railway (SIR). On my way to work and since I then had to go over the Bayonne Bridge anyway, I drove Steve W to Bayonne so he could ride a portion of HBLRT from 22nd Street to Hoboken. Those who rode the trains can fill in the blanks as to what you did, besides SIR.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:58 AM

I went out on the LIRR to my old home Ronkonkoma, met someone for lunch, and then rode back to New York. Then took the SEPTA/NJT combination to Philly. Both SEPTA and NJT had weekday schedules while LIRR had a modified Saturday schedule. NJT accepted off peak tickets all day.

#3 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

I met the group that went to Staten Island around 10 AM in Penn Station. I actually got into the city around 8:30 AM, so I rode the "N" line train to its terminus in Queens, I was hoping to take some pictures of the Hells Gate Bridge from the platform, but since I saw 2 uniformed police officers on the platform I decided to leave my camera in my bag. I then returned on the next inbound W train. I got off at 42nd St. Time Square, where I took a 2 train back to Penn Station had a quick breakfast, then met up with the group. Once we were all together we headed to the subway. We took the 1 train to South Ferry then made the short walk to the terminal. Where we had a 25 minute wait until the next ferry. They called the ferry for boarding and we had our choice of seats since the ferry wasn't very crowded. It was a 20 minute ride that provided some great views of Manhattan, Jersey City, and the Statue of Liberty. We then walked downstairs and swiped into the Staten Island Railway. We rode to the New Dorp stop where we had a blocks to walk before arriving at the lunch stop. At Gennaro's Pizza we met up with Kevin had a great lunch. Steve then went with Kevin to Bayone to ride the HBLR. The remaining 3, Alan, Mike, and myself walked back to the New Dorp station. We boarded a train back to the ferry terminal. The railway was running a little bit late, but we were able to catch our intended ferry just in time. Alan and I remained inside while Mike elected to ride outside and enjoy the views of the city. Once back in Manhattan we boarded the 1 train at south ferry. I then saw I made plenty of time until my train back home, so I was able to do a little more riding with the group. Mike was heading to La Guardia airport, so I rode with them on the 7 train as far as Grand Central Terminal. That would end my rides with the group for the weekend. I made a quick stop at the New York Transit Museum Annex and purchased a shirt for the N train, then took the Shuttle from Grand Central to 42nd Time Square. From Time Square I took a 2 train to 34th St. Penn Station. I had roughly a 15 minute wait until I boarded the next North Jersey Coastline Train back to Little Silver. It was a great bonus to an already fantastic weekend!

#4 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

I took an NEC in from Metropark to NYP, and had a late lunch at an Indian fast food place around 28/Lex. Then took a Long Branch express to South Amboy to check out the new platform. After that took a South Amboy Local back to Rahway where I changed to an NEC and took it to Metropark to collect my car and head home. Nice little afternoon jaunt.

#5 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:14 AM

I mentioned this a little bit on another post, but here are all of the details. Mike and I got up early and took the PATH to herald square. We then took a local on the Broadway line to 57th street. We walked over to Carnegie Deli. I had Lox on a Bagel with Cream Cheese. That was good. Mike had a plain bagel with butter. He like his too. We rode back to times square. I managed to get us momentarily lost, but we ended up on the seventh avenue line. And made are way to Penn station where I had a heated discussion with the baggage clerk about who was responsible for getting change for my 20. I won. I asked for the supervisor to come out and complained to him. He took the 20 to get change, and while I was waiting, I gave the clerk a very detailed description of my low opinion of her. Kevin and Mike and Stephen pretended they didn't know me, and Alan waked up to catch the end of my performance. We then made are way to Genarros, which was described in detail earlier in this thread. After lunch, Kevin drove me to the 22nd avenue stop on the Hoboken light rail line. I rode to Hoboken. This was a nice ride. The sun was out, and I saw great views of Manhattan. My first time on this system was a moonlight ride done several years ago. I took PATH from Hoboken to WTC. And then walked over and caught the 4 express to GCT. I wanted to visit the transit store and buy the track map of the subway system. No map, but I bought a history of the system, and that was interesting. Feeling almost like a native New Yorker, I found the Time Square shuttle, and then made my way back to Penn. I picked up my luggage from the the baggage place, and checked to see that all was well with my bag. No deposits in it, and nothing was missing. Phew!! I used an AGR day pass to use the Acela lounge. This was great. I plugged my phone in for a charge, and relaxed. I was catching 159 to go to the Newark airport stop. I know this was expensive, but it was another 100 AGR points. The attendants in the lounge were very nice. They called 159 for East gate track 9, and I made my way out the door. I zig zagged through the crowd, doing my NFL running back routine, and hit the entrance to the escalator like it was a hole in the defense. The attendant didn't even see me go by. I didnt see her either. She called out to me as I rode down the escalator, "Where are you going?" I said "159" She said "Its not boarding yet" I said "Yes it is, they called it in the lounge." By this time I was on the Platform. The gate agent was nice, it was hardly a big deal. Just kind of funny. I had my choice of Window seats, and we left on time. The conductor lifted my ticket, and told me to get off at the 2nd stop. I think I was the only one to get off. Airtrain was a breeze. I ate dinner in TGIF in the airport. The plane boarded on-time, and it was not crowded. Nobody sat next to me. We arrive Chicago 30 minutes early. A good flight. Though I was now back to Reality. As always, I enjoyed the fest, and I hated to see it end.

#6 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:26 AM

Glad to hear your bag was okay :lol: its to bad I only caught the tail end of the baggage drama. Your right about fests being to short!

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:51 AM

Kevin and Mike and Stephen pretended they didn't know me, and Alan waked up to catch the end of my performance.

Only problem with this is that Kevin was still home when you were performing at Penn Station. Did anyone catch it on video so we can enjoy it on YouTube ? :)

Hoboken light rail

Once we found the entrance to the darn station, which was on 21st, not 22nd Street, you rode the Blue Line of the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail. After dropping Steve off, I drove down to where they are building the extension to 8th Street. It's pretty impressive as the track runs on a high viaduct kind of like it does between Pavonia/Newport and the JC/Hoboken border. The viaduct has supports for which Avenue E had to be narrowed to make room. The track will run on a level with and parallel to the NJ route 440 approach to the Bayonne Bridge. Can't wait to ride it!

Your right about fests being to short!

This one was shorter than most we've had in the NYC area, particularly since it did not include any official Friday train riding. Steve M you'll have to someday attend one of our summer gigs when we blitz everything in a new city, and also live like a family on Amtrak across the country.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

imho, the socal fest was too short too. LOL

Edited by steve4031, 24 January 2010 - 03:10 PM.

#9 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

imho, the socal fest was too short too. LOL

That's because you chickened out and got off in Chicago. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

That's because you chickened out and got off in Chicago. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even worse, truth is he got off in Naperville.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users