#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

Use this thread to report on our Pacific Surfliner round trip between Los Angeles and Solana Beach, and back, on Monday, July 18th.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:43 PM

We (5 of us) are currently on the Northbound Pacific Surfliner.  Our seats were assigned and nowhere near each other.  Most of us are riding "backwards."  4 of us are seated with another member of the group and one of us is seated next to someone who has removed her shoes.  

We were 8 of us Southbound, 5 of us detrained in Solana Beach and 3 (Steve, Mike and Chris) stayed on until San Diego.  Steve and Mike will be taking a train from San Diego, whereas Chris will by flying home from San Diego.

5 of us had a nice lunch at Pizza Port in Solana Beach, across the street from the station.  One of us had a beer from their brewery, one had a rootbeer float, and others had soft drinks.  We all had pizza (even though one of us had to special order her pizza).  

In BC southbound, we were offered coffee, hot tea and pre-packaged Danish.  Northbound, the attendant stopped by each seat offering wine, soda or water with a snack pack.  

This is my first time on the Pacific Surfliner and am very impressed by the scenery.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

Could not have summarized it better.  I'm the one next to the feet.  Very scenic trip, which I have only taken once before during our 2009 Fest.  Impressive how close to the beach the line runs at San Clemente.

At Solana Beach, had we arrived on time and had a few more minutes, I might have walked on the sand and put my feet in the ocean. But because we lost time coming in and wanted to get back to the station to ensure we knew which track our train (777) would be on, I figured I would not have had time to clean sand off my feet.... some of which I could track back to those other beaches not far from where I live on the other coast.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 SanDiegan

SanDiegan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Passenger Rail, Transit

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:14 PM

I love Pizza Port. One of my favorite stops !

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 July 2016 - 08:05 PM

I love Pizza Port. One of my favorite stops !

It was great to see you again and it sure was a pleasant surprise to see you on the platform at Fullerton Monday evening.  

#6 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 04:15 PM

I joined the group in the Metro Lounge and boarded 566 with all my things. As the group got off in SOL, I continued all way to SAN with Steve and Mike where I parted ways with them. I debated either catching the direct bus or taking an Uber to the airport, but seeing how Uber was only $5.12 and the bus would have been $2.25, I'd spend the extra ~$3 to not have to mess with my bags on a crowded bus. I couple hours later I was on the non-stop Southwest flight back to NOLa (MSY). I was sitting in my room as the group was boarding the Southwest Chief in LAX. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users