• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

Kevin, it does not seem like you are happy with the Hearsay choice.  Should we look for something that will suit you before making phone calls and reservations?

Our ace reservation maker just returned from Japan.  He may need a day to recover from jet lag.  Of course, I can call if Steve is too busy, tired, whatever.

How many will we be in Houston? 9?

Edited by pennyk, 02 July 2018 - 01:22 PM.

#22 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:01 PM

I think that going forward it would be best practice to state our own preferences rather than negating others. I will take another look at Houston to see what is out there.

#23 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

How about this one. Christian's tailgate. Here is the yelp link.
https://yelp.to/qTKq/xkpC5z6seO

#24 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:43 PM

Steve, thanks for further researching Houston restaurants.  I think the prices at Christian's Tailgate are pretty good and it appears that we could all find something on the menu that we will eat.  The downside is that it is further from the Doubletree Downtown, BUT it is not that far.  Walking distance is a mile, but there are other transit options.

Right now, Christian's Tailgate is my first choice.  Thanks Steve.

#25 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 04:04 PM

I just phoned Christian's Tailgate and asked if they take reservations.  They do not.  However, the person to whom I spoke, gave me the email address of the manager and suggested that I contact him if we decide to eat there.  I was told that separate checks is not a problem.  

I was asked my name and number and I provided it.  I told them I would email the manager or call back if we decide to dine there.

#26 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:14 PM

Thank you for the leg work.

#27 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:35 PM

I stumbled upon Christian's Tailgate when I was looking at restaurants in the HiltonHonors Dining program, so that place is applicable (as was Hearsay too).  A few more hotel points can't hurt.   This restaurant is about 1 block from the Preston station on the Red Line.

Confirmed we currently expect 9 LTRF members in Houston on Sunday evening, as long as everyone agrees on the venue and the time.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#28 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:45 AM

I am seeing that the Houston Astros will be playing a day game against the Detroit Tigers on Sunday, July 15th.  The game starts at 1:10 PM local time, so i would expect the area to crowded around lunchtime before the game, and possibly dinnertime following the game.  It may be prudent for us to eat dinner as soon as possible while the game is still in progress so as to avoid potential crowds. .... Therefore going directly from our last light rail segment to the restaurant should work out for us.

Sunday Jul 15 1:10 PM
Detroit Tigers  

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#29 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 07:20 AM

I am seeing that the Houston Astros will be playing a day game against the Detroit Tigers on Sunday, July 15th.  The game starts at 1:10 PM local time, so i would expect the area to crowded around lunchtime before the game, and possibly dinnertime following the game.  It may be prudent for us to eat dinner as soon as possible while the game is still in progress so as to avoid potential crowds. .... Therefore going directly from our last light rail segment to the restaurant should work out for us.

Detroit Tigers  

I am far from a baseball expert, but it seems that "fans" may go to sports bars to watch the game.  I do not know how many hours a baseball game generally lasts.  I have heard sometimes, it seems like days.  I am not sure we can assume that the restaurant will be less crowded during the game than after the game.  Based on some of the reviews, the service at Christian's can be slow, so maybe going early will result in eating at "dinner time."

#30 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43535 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

Detroit Tigers  

I am far from a baseball expert, but it seems that "fans" may go to sports bars to watch the game.  I do not know how many hours a baseball game generally lasts.  I have heard sometimes, it seems like days.  I am not sure we can assume that the restaurant will be less crowded during the game than after the game.  Based on some of the reviews, the service at Christian's can be slow, so maybe going early will result in eating at "dinner time."

Despite attempts to speed up the game, the average length of a nine–inning baseball game rose nearly 4 1/2 minutes, the commissioner's office said. It took a record 3 hours, 5 minutes and 11 seconds to complete a baseball game, up from 3 hours and 42 seconds last year.Oct 2, 2017

Sports Illustrated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users