• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 10:31 AM

In the Springfield Overnight itinerary New Canaan option, there is also the possibility of starting from MET at 8:07 on ATK160 and arriving into Stamford at 9:48 and joining the group there. Someone like me would most likely prefer that to the jaunt across midtown from NYP to NYG.

#22 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:23 AM

I found a Marriott with reasonable rates, and Mike could get his employee discount. It seems to be close to the station. I do not know about the Hilton properties. I think if we do Springfield it would be more enjoyable to overnight there rather than do a same day turn. Then we could eat at regular times. Additionally, staying overnight, and combining the MNRR stuff makes the most sense on this too, and maximizes train riding.

There's an HGI hotel located across the I-91 freeway, next door to the Basketball Hall of Fame. I stayed there once before. But taxi is required, it's probably about a mile or so from the Amtrak station. One can get around by bus as well; the hub of the local bus system is at a terminal just a block from Amtrak -- though check the schedules for weekend service.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#23 nashscan

nashscan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Scanning, Amateur Radio, and more.

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:35 PM

Unfortunatly I don't think my wife is going to let me go this year because I keep promising to take her to Texas to see family. I very much regret not being able to go.
Preston from Nashville

Nashville needs Amtrak!

#24 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:08 PM

ACES would be the easiest for me and also something I have never done although one of my first Amtrak trips back in 1990 was the old Atlantic City Express. I'm somewhat averse to the overnight option due to the cost vs. benefit. There is a 5:25 PM that could take me back from SPG to NY if I want to get over my fear of the dark :)

#25 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:03 AM

I'm somewhat averse to the overnight option due to the cost vs. benefit. There is a 5:25 PM that could take me back from SPG to NY if I want to get over my fear of the dark :)

Good point! There is also a 7:40pm on weekends. That might be preferable for those that want to catch a decent dinner that evening. There appear to be many reasonable eateries around the Springfield station.
In fact if we do this trip. I think I will opt for that option. Yes it will be a looong day, but no point in losing almost an entire day just getting back from Springfield

#26 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:50 AM

I think we're talking about different things here. With the daytime option, if we get to SPG around 12 Noon, why would we be there until dinnertime? There's not much to do downtown especially on a Sunday. If we do want to look for lunch in SPG (and I'll have to look into whether the food court at Tower City is open on Sundays and perhaps call some other nearby restaurants just in case it's not), then we also have the option of taking the next train out, which happens to be the Vermonter #57, at 2:50 PM, arriving New York 6:25 PM. I'm not sure how we'd keep busy in SPG for 5 or even 7 hours. With #57 it's a one seat ride so you lose the extra 100 AGR points you would get by taking a Shuttle and changing in NHV. The 5:25 PM (#467) train that John mentions is on option on Saturday only. On Sundays only there is a 4:10 PM departure (#465) and the one Jishnu mentioned at 7:40 PM (#497). I can't see us having both lunch and dinner there, but I don't think the 7:40 PM train out of SPG is going to be comfortable for everyone given that you arrives into NYP 10:46 PM and then some first have to catch other trains (or continue onward to MET arriving 11:37 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#27 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:05 AM

I think Kevin was looking for the cheapest itinerary that maximizes agr points. Jis and others are thinking about getting a meal. IMHO it might be possible to eat lunch and head back to nyc on a later train such as Vermonter. Iirc Kevin or somebody else noted that fares on the Vermonter are higher and only gets 100 points. I don't know how much more expensive the Vermonter is. But it would be nice to eat lunch in Springfield. I can do research on that.

#28 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:44 AM

Vermonter on Sunday is $75 OW SPG-NYP. Saturday is only $39, but I suspect precious few seats are assigned to the lower buckets for local travel, especially as it will be ski season.

#29 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

Yeah the Vermonter is up there in price, in many cases more than double what the other trains cost. And with BC offered on that train I suspect some would go for that too, which inflates that fare even more. I was trying to keep things cheap and simple with just a round trip -- but to eat lunch means doing so either VERY early 160, or VERY late after we get on 163. Vermonter being a one seat ride would not get double the points for a one way ride to New York, but with the fare higher, a $75 fare would get you 150 points. Add in BC and you're closer to 200 points, but you're spent $95 instead of $29 to do so.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#30 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:45 PM

The Vermonter is significantly higher. A 9 am out of nyp does give time to load up on snacks and then eat a late lunch after 2. I could do that. Also we are more likely to get seats on the shuttles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users