Photo

Is anyone considering taking Amtrak 163 on Sunday?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

I think this is the right place to ask... Is anyone considering taking Amtrak 163 on Sunday?

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

I think this is the right place to ask... Is anyone considering taking Amtrak 163 on Sunday?

It's in the back of my mind, but much depends on where I ultimately stay Saturday night and where I ultimately park my car. Working out the logistics without having to travel with my suitcase all day on Metro North is not simple. Most likely I won't be staying in Manhattan as I did last year, unless something very cheap (and hopefully bedbug free) comes along.We usually split up and go our separate ways after the last activity on the last day of the Fest, so even though the itinerary takes us back to New York, the Fest is over at Stamford (the last time through) and we're on our own from there.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

I will be taking 163 on Sunday. As a matter of fact I just purchased the ticket today.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

I'm still considering this, now that I know I'm not staying in Manhattan but rather in NJ.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 NJCoastExp

NJCoastExp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:31 PM

Thinking about it. Very likely.

This is train 3267, 5:43 Long Branch express with connection to Bay Head. South Amboy is next. First and last cars are Quiet Cars. All tickets please.

#6 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:03 PM

I'm still considering this, now that I know I'm not staying in Manhattan but rather in NJ.

Considering getting some AGR points at the Woodbridge Hilton? ;) :P

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

Considering getting some AGR points at the Woodbridge Hilton? ;) :P

Well in reality, I did consider the Woodbridge Hilton; the rates are fairly affordable. However, the logistics in going back and forth from there, plus the longer trip, and the facts #150 doesn't stop there and one has to arise super early to catch NJT, and I decided instead on two nights at the Newark Hilton next to Penn Station.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:43 AM

OK, I got myself on the 150 out of NWK on Sunday too. I will however be catching the 5:45 NJT out of MET to arrive into NWK at 6:10. So I will see you at NWK on Sunday. On Saturday you are presumably taking 160 out of NWK? I will be on it ex MET. Hopefully we will find Piotr on some of those too, with his brand spanking new, even larger headphones, collecting cheap 100 AGR point. :) If I am running late on Sunday, I will probably take a Midtown Direct and catch up with you at NYP.

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

Sunday morning I have the choice of jumping on either PATH or NJT depending on when I leave. Since the Sunday fest starts from GCT, I intend to ride crosstown and start from there, rather than meeting the group in STM. Amtrak isn't worthwhile to just travel between NWK and NYP, unless one is splitting the trip with another train.

Sunday afternoon I can do the split of 163 STM-NWK, 159 NWK-MET, giving me 2 Amtrak segments for the price of one, and one hour to collect my luggage from the hotel.

Saturday I won't be in NY Penn Station to meet before the Fest train (#160). I'll be aboard the Fest train in NJ, as some of you will be as well. I purchased a ticket MET-NHV, but I'll just show up in Newark. It would have cost me more to change it.

Hopefully we will find Piotr on some of those too, with his brand spanking new, even larger headphones, collecting cheap 100 AGR point.

You.... you... you mean they make them even bigger than we've seen? :o

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

I'm looking forward to this Fest. Will be lots if fun. And mine and I will be taking metro north and following the itinerary on Sunday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users