#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Use this thread to discuss our trip on Amtrak Train #66(18), the Northeast Regional train from Newport News to the Washington, DC area.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Well we're on our way on #66. We all agreed by our various timekeeping devices that we left Newport News one minute EARLY.

Wonderful crew, and I mean that sarcastically. Besides leaving hot, they also announced that the café car would not open until Williamsburg. Then at Williamsburg, they announced its opening at the precise time they were making the station stop, which would cause more traffic in the aisles and between cars while the train was boarding. Good thinking.

But the train's "success" was short-lived. By the time we left Williamsburg, VA we were already 3 minutes down and falling fast. We then had to stop on a siding for a meet with #95 -- something that happens every day. #95 was considerably late, so naturally that meant making us later too. We left to Richmond-Main Street at 7:06, now down 36 minutes.

It got worse. Normal slowness through Richmond, and into Acca Yard. And then we got CSX'ed. At the south end of Acca Yard the esteemed freight railroad had the switches aligned to send us onto a track that would not have taken us to Staples Mill Road Station. We ended up having to reverse, wait for the proper switch alignment, and then we proceeded onto the correct track. The fiasco cost our train another 7 minutes all told as we departed Richmond-Staples Mill. Total damage is now at 43 minutes down.

The trip's not over yet; we'll see what else CSX has in store for us on our run to Alexandria and Washington. Ah, adventure! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 EdFindlay

EdFindlay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Trains, Trains

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

We arrived into WAS about 25 minutes late but with a quick turnaround we left WAS at 10:14 just 4 minutes behind. While in station making her introductions the conductor made an announcement about the number of cars on the train(why she insisted on telling us that I don't know but it was interesting, never heard that on any of the other crew changes or transfer points). The conductor giving the seat checks those of us still on board was sugary polite, the first time on 66 or 67 that I have had one that wasn't obnoxiously loud or demanding.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

Bon voyage through the night, Ed. Officially padding took away some of the damage done to us in Richmond and east of there. We arrived at ALX at 9:27 PM, where Steve and I detrained. We went to the Metro station, where I caught a Yellow Line train immediately to Crystal City for my hotel. Steve had to wait a few minutes longer for his Blue Line train to the Rosslyn station. And officially the arrival in WAS was 9:45 PM, as Ed said 25 minutes late. Good recovery in that they were able to depart again so close to schedule. That wraps up our Thursday on the rails. Coming up next: Friday, our Fest's final day.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users