• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

If your connection in Washington looks like it may be too tight, you could transfer to #19 in Alexandria. Just let us know beforehand so we can inform the crew you are not a no-show.

I intend to do that. I'll make reports here if things are going normally. If problems arise I'll text you. Or I'll call. You can call me anytime. I'll only call if the situation is tight.

#62 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

92 boarded at about 11:30. There was no pre boarding for sleepers. No big deal. I chilled out in airconditioned station. Then boarded. As I was standing in line the TA announced, " this the last call for train 92 the silver meteor.". I looked over, made eye contact and said, "this is the silver star". She looked at me for a moment, then made the announcement, "correction, silver star. Thank you'" she smiled at me. I'm in 9210 room 1 with working AC.

#63 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

Have a good trip! Have fun backing into Tampa Union Station, and while you're backing in, look for the TECO trolleys which cross at grade. You will of course have another chance when going forward after leaving the station. Remember you're going to stop in Lakeland twice!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#64 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Have a good trip! Have fun backing into Tampa Union Station, and while you're backing in, look for the TECO trolleys which cross at grade. You will of course have another chance when going forward after leaving the station. Remember you're going to stop in Lakeland twice!

All if the above are reasons that silver star is mor interesting than the meteor. Plus the section tomorrow going from Raleigh to rocky mount. That's a missing link in my mileage collection for Amtrak.

The crew is better on this trip. The attendant in my car is pleasant. We've chatted a few times already. The sca in the 9211 car recognized me and characterized me as friendly. I don't know where we crossed paths. But that's what she told my attendant.

Diner crew seems inexperienced but nice. Angus burger was good. So the chef is good too. I think this will be the better of my two silver service trips.

One issue is that AC is struggling in the 9210 car. Luckily my room is on the right and I'll soon be out if the sun.

#65 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

One issue is that AC is struggling in the 9210 car.

But who is the Assistant Conductor struggling with? :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#66 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:31 PM

Air conditioning. Or when somebody complains one can say the AC is struggling with the AC.

#67 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

Passed 91 and 97 between Sebring and winterhaven. They were lined up one in back of the other at a siding. We are still on time.

#68 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

After passing through a brief thunderstorm we arrived early into Tampa. A Streetcar was waiting for us as we backed into the station. Still no processing of dinner reservations. I'm not hungry, but they normally would be done by now since first seating is normally at 5.

#69 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

Dinner reservation issue resolved. She somehow missed me when she went through. I got a reservation for 6:30. She was nice about it at least.

#70 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:19 PM

Dinner was excellent. The steak was seared and cooked perfectly. Dining companions were enjoyable. And peanut butter chocolate pie was a nice ending. Still running on time. Signing off for tonight unless there is some drama.

Edited by KevinKorell, 16 July 2011 - 08:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users