#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 November 2018 - 11:12 PM

There are three Amtrak trip segments on this 3-day journey.   Discuss here the topic of on-board meals, class of service we are choosing, etc.

As of this time, Amtrak has not yet loaded into their reservation inventory the appropriate holiday weekend schedules, so the Monday train from Springfield cannot yet be booked.  Whoever discovers otherwise should post that fact in this thread.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:14 PM

I am going to do an Amtrak accommodations chart for this journey, since we will be on the Lake Shore Limited (#448) for one segment. Some are taking sleepers (Business and Coach Classes are also available), so as we do in the summers it will be fun to know who is located where.  At the same time, we have two other segments that have the choice of Coach or Business Class (Empire #281 and Regional #157).  The latter still is not reservable because Amtrak hasn't yet awakened to the fact that time will continue beyond the end of the year.  So those going on the trip can state their preferences for each of those trains.  

You can e-mail me your information at any time (entitled NYMARF Amtrak) and I will put together the chart.   My intention is to take Business Class on the Empire Service and Northeast Regional trains, and a Roomette on the Lake Shore.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:30 PM

Those of us who have already reserved space on the eastbound Lake Shore Limited, Train #448, today received a robo-call and e-mail from Amtrak informing that checked baggage service will not be available on this train.   For me not an issue since I usually put my luggage overhead in my Viewliner roomette.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

Looks like the holiday schedules have been loaded for Monday, January 21, but at high bucket across the board.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 01:30 AM

Thanks, Bill, I am all set.  I surmise that the lower buckets went to the people who probably were contacted in some manner by Amtrak having made reservations on one of the now replaced weekday scheduled trains to be re-accommodated.

Folks, jump on while you can!  :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:55 PM

I think the inventory for lower buckets was set at zero and maybe some will be released depending on sales.

example all Keystones NYP-PHL $117

For those who want to go to Grand Central, the fare SPG-NHV is an unbucketed $12.75, then $17.75 NHV-GCT.

The Metro-North MLK day special schedule, an enhanced Saturday schedule, is not up yet.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:04 PM

Metro North is always an option, surely cheaper, but ( a ) the relatively small group will be even smaller, ( b ) Metro North is slower, and ( c ) Metro North doesn't give you Amtrak Guest Rewards points.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:30 AM

They finally released the buckets for January 21 NEC trips including 157. Previously all trains were high bucket and now 157 is the lowest bucket. Also a lot of NEC trains now have low bucket fares.

#9 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

They finally released the buckets for January 21 NEC trips including 157. Previously all trains were high bucket and now 157 is the lowest bucket. Also a lot of NEC trains now have low bucket fares.

Thanks John.  Since I was in BC on 157, I canceled that reservation and rebooked at low bucket.  I saved a "few" dollars.

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82602 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

Thanks.   Mine was a split trip SPG-NYP-MET on 157 and another Regional after lunch in NYC.  I saved $67.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users