#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:22 PM

The estimated transit costs for Washington Area RailFest 2015 can be found here.    I won't describe anything further since it's all there.  Rather than getting bogged down with figuring out senior fares for WMATA, I simply supplied a link to the WMATA site so that the comparable fares can be derived for those who qualify.

I thank Ross  and Penny for the research they did to help in the creation of this page.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

I beleive senior fares will require a "Senior SmarTrip Card" or a "discount paper Metrorail farecard."  These can only be purchased in person at the specified locations.  Most are weekday only.

WMATA.com:

Senior Citizens (aged 65 and older)

SNIP

Senior citizens may ride for half the peak fare on Metrorail, for 85¢ on regular Metrobus routes, and for discounted fare on other participating bus service providers.

Senior citizens may purchase a Senior SmarTrip® card or $10 discount paper Metrorail farecards and $8.75 Metrobus Weekly Disabled Passes by presenting a valid government-issued photo ID card (driver's license, non-driver's ID or passport) at these locations.

SNIP

If you are visiting the area, you may pay the reduced bus fare by showing the bus operator a valid government-issued photo ID that includes your date of birth and address, or purchase the $10 discount Metrorail farecard and/or the $8.75 Metrobus Weekly Senior Pass at one of these locations.

Additional:  Senior SmarTrip Card

-Ross

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:09 AM

I already have a smart card from previous trips. If I load it with 25 dollars I should be set for the entire weekend.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Ross, just to clarify on what Steve said above, although the Baltimore Day Pass is a separate instrument from the smart cards, is it true that smart card value (from Charm Card or SmarTrip® ) can be used to pay the $3.50 cost of the day pass?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:34 PM

Ross, just to clarify on what Steve said above, although the Baltimore Day Pass is a separate instrument from the smart cards, is it true that smart card value (from Charm Card or SmarTrip® ) can be used to pay the $3.50 cost of the day pass?

Although I am not Ross, I will attempt an answer from the little bit of research that I performed.  My quick guess is no.  I seem to remember reading that you cannot do that, but I will go back and revisit it later if Ross does not have a definitive answer.

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

Based on what I just read, the options for purchasing a day pass are cash or CharmCard.  

Day Passes

Valid for unlimited travel on Local Bus, Metro Subway, Light Rail and Neighborhood Shuttle on the date purchased until 3:00am the following day. You can use cash or your CharmCard to purchase a Day Pass from any Local Bus Operator or from any Light Rail or Metro Subway ticket vending machine.

Transportation Method Regular Fare Reduced Fare* Local Bus, Metro Subway, Light Rail, Neighborhood Shuttle $3.50 $1.20 Express Bus $3.90 (Base fare plus $0.40 cash in farebox for each ride) $1.20 (Base fare plus $0.40 cash in farebox for each ride) Commuter Bus Varies by destination
click here for more info
Varies by destination
click here for more info MARC Train Service Varies by destination
click here for more info Varies by destination
click here for more info

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:40 PM

Based on what I just read, the options for purchasing a day pass are cash or CharmCard.  

Day Passes

Valid for unlimited travel on Local Bus, Metro Subway, Light Rail and Neighborhood Shuttle on the date purchased until 3:00am the following day. You can use cash or your CharmCard to purchase a Day Pass from any Local Bus Operator or from any Light Rail or Metro Subway ticket vending machine.

So then it would be a YES, and if I understand that correctly by extension the SmarTrip card could be used as well since it's a question of the stored value rather than using the card itself as a day pass.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

The MD MTA has succeeded - in thouroughly confusing me!

After spending some time surfing their fare pages, I find some apparent conflicts;

- although there is no mention of loading a Day Pass on a Charm Card in the Day Pass information, when I started drilling through the Charm Card pages it appears the pass can be loaded on a Charm Card

- There are references to the TVMs accepting credit cards (and the rep I spoke with had confirmed this), the Day Pass section only mentions cash or Charm Card for payment

- the rep said an MTA Day Pass could not be purchased with a WMATA SmarTrip Card, yet there are references that the Charm Card and SmarTrip card are totally compatible across systems.

I had hoped to call the MTA today to resolve the information - no luck.  The customer service phone line is a Monday-Friday operation.  I will call them tomorrow.

With all of this, we still need to work with the short time between our scheduled arrival on MARC, and departure on light rail.

Ross

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

Thanks Ross for your time spent following this up, and the time you will inevitably spend tomorrow!  

It sounds like we somehow exposed some contradictions in Maryland MTA policy..... We're the same folks who every year expose Amtrak for their having the wrong timetables loaded for the holiday weekend, so why not do more?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43390 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

I just spoke with Mary at MTA customer service.  She was very helpful; positive with her answers, vs. the somewhat tentative responses I received from the rep I spoke with last week. 

Mary says:

- MTA Day Pass may be purchased with cash; major credit card; or Charm Card

- Multiple cards may be purchased in a single TVM transaction - she was not sure if there is an upper limit per transaction

- Day Pass is issued on "paper" media; or may be loaded on a Charm Card

- confirmed full compatability with WMATA SmarTrip card; SmarTrip may be used for purchase and Day Pass may be loaded, same as Charm Card

I think this clears up the questions we had.

Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users