• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:15 AM

I have heard that recently the BUDD RDCs that the Alaska Railroad uses for the Hurricane Service have been retired due to electrical problems too costly to repair. If that is the case, will the ARR be able to run the Hurricane Turn without them, using conventional equipment, with either a second locomotive or cab car on the other end? THis service is an interesting one, it's mandated but runs infrequently during the off-season and 4 days a week during the Summer. The BUDD RDC seemed a good fit on this line, and the shut down of Colorado Railcar probably eliminated the only option. ARR 751, the one DMU they bought from CRC is for the Chugach Whistle Stop service, which is nowhere near the Hurricane Turn's route.

AlaskaRails.org

The Budd RDCs went to Fairbanks for their annual inspections and maintenance. It was determined their electrical problems were just too costly to be repaired economically so they are all going to be retired immediately. All four have made their last revenue trips and now will be put out for bid.

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82823 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

Considering that the last Budd Car was built in 1962, the decision to retire them is not a surprise. They certainly served a long time. Alaska probably got them because others didn't want them. If you consider that those cars were once rejected by SEPTA and Metro North (the latter inherited them from New Haven RR days), nobody's going to want them except maybe a tourist RR that can afford the upkeep. I think the Cape May Seashore Lines still runs them, although I don't recall which version they have... and besides, they have had trouble keeping the downtown Cape May-Cape May Court House route in service the past few years due to track and bridge problems. I did get to ride on a Budd car back in the 1980's, on my first ever trip to Waterbury, CT. Metro North had one in service on its Bridgeport-Waterbury shuttle. I don't recall if this was an SPV-2000 or one of the older cars. Amtrak tried using some on their New Haven-Springfield shuttle for a short while, but they didn't work out there either.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

I was thinking a little that maybe as far as rolling stock for the Hurricane, trying out a Bombardier Bi-Level as one of the coaches, with a baggage car. Although I saw a travel show about Alaska once on the Discovery Channel, and they took a ride on the Hurricane, so it does get some tourists, probably to see how a flag-stop train works. I had high hopes for the CRC DMU mainly because of it's potential in Alaska to handle several different kinds of services. I like how the ARR has done wonders with the SD70MAC making it an engine that does double duty. This is one route the Bombardier Talent, Siemens Desiro and Stadler GTW/FLIRT will not work because it has to share the line with freight. As for the BUDD RDC itself, it is a testament to it's design that it works so long after BUDD quit making them. There are a few services where they still are the best to use, but their age just got in the way. Also, who knows if the ARR had ordered a few DMUs about the time they ordered the Ultradomes for the GoldStar service, they might have had them by now. It was not just the Hurricane they could use them on, but also Anchorage Commuter Rail, and the new Chugach Explorer, but I think using them on the Aurora in the winter would have been a stretch.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82823 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:06 PM

As for the BUDD RDC itself, it is a testament to it's design that it works so long after BUDD quit making them.

That said, Budd has had its problems too. SPV-2000's were supposed to have lasted until the year 2000, but they didn't make it through the 1990's. As I said above, Metro North & Amtrak had issues with them in Connecticut.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

Sometimes it is hard to copy success, especially when rules change. If the SPV-2000 had succeeded, as well as the EMU version of the Metroliner, the Amfleet design would have been even more of a success.

Edited by EvergreenRailfan, 18 February 2009 - 02:18 PM.

#6 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:43 AM

Seems that the Chugach Explorer DMU has fired up and run on it's own power, and when testing is done, it should be shipped by the end of March.

John's (unofficial) Alaska Railroad Page

Now, in the Colorado Railcar Estate Sale, I mean Bankruptcy Sale, who is going to get the rights to the designs? Even though the company failed, it still is the only FRA compliant DMU. Although perhaps with recent problems with TriMet's CRC DMUs, it might be worth trying something new.

#7 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

Now here is the YouTube Video of the the ARR Chugach Explorer DMU. As for potential rolling stock for the cruise trains the next time the economy rebounds, I wonder if they can do the same thing they did for passenger cars in the 80s on the ARR, but use the UltraDomes as the design point?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users