Photo

PCRF/What to do on Monday, July 18th in Los Angeles?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Activities for Monday, 7/18/16 (4 member(s) have cast votes)

What rail activities should we do on Monday, July 18th ?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

As I mentioned when the Fest was announced, so far Monday, July 18th is an open day.  The only definite activity would be the evening departure on the Southwest Chief from Los Angeles at 6:15 PM.  Obviously to be safe we want to have wrapped up any other travels well in advance of that time to ensure we don't miss the train.

I penciled in a morning round trip on Pacific Surfliners to Anaheim, for the purpose of seeing the Anaheim Regional Intermodal Transportation Center (ARTIC).  That option would result in about a 48 minute dwell in Anaheim before returning.  I have nothing at all planned for the afternoon under that scenario, and perhaps I shouldn't.

Since we no longer get the 100 point AGR minimum per trip, some of you may want to go slightly further south before returning, maybe Santa Ana or Irvine (although the latter dwell becomes too short between trains).  However there are options too to do Amtrak in one direction and Metrolink Orange County Line back, or vice versa.  However because we will later be on the Southwest Chief on the same segment between Los Angeles and Fullerton, maybe some would rather do something else.  So we could also ride Metrolink in other places without doing Amtrak until the Southwest Chief. Or, a triangular trip visiting the Inland Empire and Orange County might also be possible using 3 lines (either the San Bernardino or Riverside Lines, plus the IEOC Line, plus the Orange County Line).

Note that if an all Metrolink day is planned, we would have to also look at a lunch stop, whereas if we are on the Pacific Surfliners we can eat in its café car while travelling.

This poll is just to gauge whether anything should be changed. Or we could make it a free for all and people can do whatever they wish on their own or with smaller groups, or just remain in Los Angeles and sightsee. Please only vote if you will be involved in the Fest on that day.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

Although I voted round trip on Pacific Surfliner to Anaheim, I would prefer a round trip on the Pacific Surfliner as far south as possible.  I have not traveled on the Pacific Surfliner and would like to experience as much of it as possible.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:22 PM

Briefly scanning the timetable, I think Santa Ana is possible using the same 2 trains (768 and 769), but Irvine -- the next stop -- presents a too-close connection.  Or if we went further south, all the way to San Diego, I think that would be best if we left LAX earlier on Train 566 at 8:30 AM, arrive SAN 11:25 AM, and then take Train 777 which leaves SAN 12 Noon and gets to LAX 2:45 PM.  That provides a 3-1/2 hour cushion before #4 leaves, and I'm comfortable with a 35-minute turnaround time in the beautiful Santa Fe Depot.    Going all the way to San Diego in paid Business Class would be over $50 per segment even at the AAA rate and thus yield over 100 AGR tier qualifying points per direction.

OK, so my scan wasn't all that brief.   :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:02 PM

I prefer round trip to San Diego.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:39 PM

So far, just 2 people have expressed their preferences, but only 1 has voted. If this option is chosen, THIS is what the day would look like.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

I prefer round trip to San Diego.

I had the privilege of speaking with Mike in person this afternoon, and he, too, prefers round trip to San Diego. (Welcome home Steve.  It was nice to chat on the phone with you)

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 10:20 PM

I will close this poll/thread on Sunday, May 1st, so those participating in the Fest on July 18th please share your preference.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

Arrival record for 566 into San Diego in April:

Attached File  566_Apr.png   383.29KB   0 downloads

4/2 - Service Disruption

4/9 & 10 - Did not operate

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:36 PM

Thanks, Bill for the chart.

I have closed the poll as promised for 5/1/16.   Changes made to the itinerary and homepage accordingly.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users