25 replies to this topic

#11 JAChooChoo

JAChooChoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:B&O, Chessie, CSX, Passenger, Amtrak

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:07 AM

In any case none of Florida has had more than 4 inches or rain in the last 48 hours, none has had more than an inch today, and the railroad is still shut down?? NY state has had more rain over the last 48hours, is NY shut down? That would be a NO.

I've seen Florida after a heavy rain - unlike NY, the state is flat (highest point, Lakewood Park 345 ft is in the Panhandle, northwest of De Funiak Springs, near the Georgia border), water stands - slow run-off.

The moment a passenger train is trapped by a fallen tree (caused by saturated soil) all the critics here will slam Amtrak for not having buses standing by at 10 mile intervals.

Seriously, Floridians were battening down the hatches, getting supplies and gas at the recommendation of the Governor - should the railroads do any less? I think not.

J. Alan Crumbaker

#12 ICGsteve

ICGsteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:39 AM

That explained one day, maybe. With-in six hours of hitting the mainland it was clear that this storm was not going to amount to anything so it was time to get ready to change course and open up the railroad. The tree thing is very far fetched. AS of a week ago most of the state was classified as either dry or in stage one of drought so I don't see ten inches of rain and 45 mph winds bringing down very many trees. The four inches they ended up getting sure did not.

#13 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:19 AM

Florida Service Alert from Amtrak for Aug 31 and Sept 1 issued 6pm Aug 30:

Service Alert: Florida Trains - Service Modified because of Tropical Storm Ernesto

UPDATED:
6:00 p.m Eastern Time
August 30, 2006

Based on the projected path of Tropical Storm Ernesto, Amtrak will temporarily modify some Florida rail service, effective Wednesday, August 31.

The following changes will be made to Amtrak’s Florida Service for August 31:

Schedule changes for Thursday, August 31

The Silver Star trains 91 and 92, between New York and Miami, are canceled. No alternate transportation will be provided.

Southbound Silver Meteor, train 97, between New York and Miami, will operate as scheduled. The northbound Silver Meteor, train 98, between Miami and New York, is canceled. No alternate transportation will be provided.

The Auto Train, trains 52 and 53, operating between Lorton, Va. and Sanford, Fla., will operate as scheduled.

The Palmetto, trains 89 and 90, between New York and Savannah, Ga., are canceled. No alternate transportation will be provided.

The Carolinian, trains 79 and 80, between New York and Charlotte, NC, will operate as scheduled.

Schedule changes for Friday, September 1

The Silver Star (trains 91 and 92) will operate as scheduled.

Southbound Silver Meteor, train 97, will operate as scheduled. The northbound Silver Meteor (train 98) is canceled. No alternate transportation will be provided.

Operation of trains 89 and 90 are pending subject to weather conditions.

Additional changes to the schedule will be provided as soon as more information is available.

Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for updated information concerning these temporary schedule modifications.

#14 ICGsteve

ICGsteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 02:58 PM

"UPDATED: 6:00 p.m Eastern Time August 30, 2006 Based on the projected path of Tropical Storm Ernesto, Amtrak will temporarily modify some Florida rail service, effective Wednesday, August 31." Tropical storm-NOT!. Ernesto had been downgraded to tropical depression more than six hours earlier, and was now essentually a large rain storm. But what the heck, let's play it up, cancel trains, make CSX happy, and save some money. The people with tickets will understand....right?

#15 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:49 PM

All trains to/from Florida cancelled as National Weather Service upgrades Tropical Storm Ernesto warning for the Carolinas to Hurricane Watch at 11am. The predominant model wind speed at projected landfall is now 60Kt, which is just 4Kt below Hurricane, hence the upgrade to Hurricane Watch.

Service Alert: Hurricane Watch Causes Train Cancellations

UPDATED:
1:00 pm Eastern Time
August 31, 2006

At 11:00 am Eastern Time today, the National Hurricane Center issued an updated advisory announcing a Hurricane Watch for the Carolinas. Tropical Storm Ernesto is now over the Atlantic, approaching the Carolinas and is increasing in strength.

As a result of this renewed Hurricane Watch and the potential for hurricane conditions along the route of Amtrak Florida service trains, Amtrak has canceled three trains originally scheduled to operate today. The decision was made in order to avoid placing our passengers in harm’s way.

* Both Auto Trains, #52 and #53, that operate between Lorton, Va., and Sanford, Fla., are canceled today.

* The southbound Silver Meteor, train #97, scheduled to depart New York City for Miami today, is canceled. No alternate transportation will be provided.

Amtrak regrets the need to take this action. Timing for resumption of service will depend on conditions following passage of the storm.

For updates, passengers may call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com.

So now I am going down to Orlando by Continental tomorrow on one of their now rare domestic 757s, and even saving some money when compared to sleeper fares. Also got a complementary upgrade. So while I am sad that I could not get my train ride, overall I am a happy camper. At least I get to ride the train back, and for some reason the sleeper fare on that train is absurdly low. So all in all things look good so far.

Edited by jis, 31 August 2006 - 03:56 PM.

#16 ICGsteve

ICGsteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 05:53 PM

If you look at the wind speed probablity model put out at 2pm you will see that the storm is expected to lose 50-60% of its wind before it hits the csx line, as the line in far to the west of the coast. If, and only if, the storm takes the most westernly line of the computer models as of 5pm the wind speeds will be 25-30mph when it gets to the csx. If it takes the most easternly route modeled the csx will get what amounts to a stiff breeze. The rain totals could make it to 10 inches over three days, and as in florida most of the line sits atop soil that as of AUG 29 was clasified as dry or in stage one drought. Mark my words, the csx will sustain zero damage from either wind or water, and it is very unlikely that they will lose power. All of this is forseeable based upon current weather models and current soil conditions.

#17 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:41 PM

I just hope they manage to get a consist down to Florida in time for actually running 92 on Monday, so that I can at least ride the train one way. :unsure:

#18 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 09:46 PM

The latest update from Amtrak:

Service Alert: Amtrak Restores Most Service South of Washington

UPDATED:
4:40 pm Eastern Time
September 1, 2006

After reviewing weather reports concerning Tropical Storm Ernesto and consulting with CSX Transportation, which owns the tracks over which most Amtrak trains operate in the Southeast and Florida, most Amtrak service will be restored on September 2. Passengers may call 1-800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for updates.

Service Adjustments for September 2

Southbound Silver Meteor train #97 will operate as scheduled. Northbound Silver Meteortrain #98 is canceled.

Regional train #67, which originated in Boston on Sept. 1, will terminate in Washington, DC. No alternate transportation will be provided from DC to Newport News, Va.

Regional train #66 will originate in Washington, DC. No alternate transportation will be provided from Newport News to DC.

Regional trains #82 and #88 will originate in Washington, DC. No alternate transportation will be provided between Richmond, Va. and DC.

Regional train #194 will originate in Richmond, Va. No alternate transportation will be provided between Newport News and Richmond, Va.

Service Adjustments for September 3

Northbound Silver Meteor train #98 is canceled.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#19 ICGsteve

ICGsteve

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 12:59 AM

The weather channel currently has a 24 hour rain total map up that ended 7am today. Looking at it it is clear that no part of CSX got more than 4 inches of rain. All of the heavy stuff was to the east, thus ran into the ocean without effecting the line. There are enough people who know the real situation on the ground that CSX and Amtrak no doubt were quickly running out of excuses fop keeping things shut down.the sad truth

#20 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 02 September 2006 - 02:58 PM

The weather channel currently has a 24 hour rain total map up that ended 7am today. Looking at it it is clear that no part of CSX got more than 4 inches of rain. All of the heavy stuff was to the east, thus ran into the ocean without effecting the line. There are enough people who know the real situation on the ground that CSX and Amtrak no doubt were quickly running out of excuses fop keeping things shut down.the sad truth

The sad truth:

More than 200 homes were evacuated in Richmond, Va.,

Last I knew the CSX line used by Amtrak ran directly through Richmond.

The above quote comes from this MSN news story.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users