• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:45 PM

I am starting of this bad boy in Miami. LOL. Silver star to Washington, D.C. and then to ATL. Just wanted to get the Star south of D.C.

#2 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:00 AM

OK. All booked rail and hotels, except the return to NY from MEM, which will be AGR Award travel. I am almost all set to go. Fares were mostly reasonable, except of course Chicago to New York. Still debating whether to do the Card again. Naturally, attending all days this time, since it involves just a week off. Separate email with more details to you Kevin

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:16 AM

Separate email with more details to you Kevin

Got it.

Of course the Cardinal is very expensive but it's nice when it's part of an AGR redemption! :D. There's one less roomette available since I snagged Room 1 in car 5000 today for my points. At least as of right now, the Card is the only one-seat Chicago-Philadelphia ride. Don't know if there will be a through-Pennsylvanian running before we travel in July.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

At least as of right now, the Card is the only one-seat Chicago-Philadelphia ride. Don't know if there will be a through-Pennsylvanian running before we travel in July.

I have no doubt there will not be, since the necessary crossover at the west end of Pittsburgh station will not be in place by then.

#5 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:08 PM

Roomettes are pretty cheap between ATL and NOL. I went ahead and booked one for only $49. Thats 3 meals included! Even a better bargain if some of us room together for the day trip down. Same thing on the NOL to MEM segment. Roomettes are going for $45. The downside is that it only includes 1 dinner. For that I'd almost rather just pay for my meal.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

IIRC, breakfast on #19 for sleeper passengers south of Atlanta is contingent on whether the train is on schedule. If it's late, then breakfast may already have wrapped up. Lunch is the only certainty. Dinner, as I recall from our 2009 trip, was a quickie affair with limited menu, since they like to have things completed well before arrival into New Orleans (a little after 7:30 if on schedule). If it is a really short period, they may only offer it to FC passengers. True, on #58 we're only aboard for one meal between New Orleans and Memphis. Too late departure for breakfast or lunch. And then the overnight run on the following trip will be just breakfast -- I surmise an abbreviated one since Chicago arrival is scheduled for 9 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Notwithstanding all those gastronomical considerations I just got myself Roomettes all the way on all segments.

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:53 AM

And as Jishnu pointed out to me recently, if anyone else plans to take #50 from Chicago to the east coast, the sooner the better to book it. Each of us has already taken one roomette, and there are not that many more to go around particularly if some are blocked out for crew.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

And as Jishnu pointed out to me recently, if anyone else plans to take #50 from Chicago to the east coast, the sooner the better to book it. Each of us has already taken one roomette, and there are not that many more to go around particularly if some are blocked out for crew.

Currently there is 1 bedroom left and 5 roomettes on that train, so things are indeed getting close to sold out.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:40 AM

Roomettes are pretty cheap between ATL and NOL. I went ahead and booked one for only $49. Thats 3 meals included! Even a better bargain if some of us room together for the day trip down.

Same thing on the NOL to MEM segment. Roomettes are going for $45. The downside is that it only includes 1 dinner. For that I'd almost rather just pay for my meal.

Again got tickets for these two daytime segments (ATL-NOL on #19) and (NOL-MEM on #58) for under $200 total for both including Roomettes. By luck I got Rommette 2 in car 1911, and Roomette 2 in car 5800. Since this is strictly daytime travel, I have no problem subletting my roomettes as long as the seats will remain in the daytime configuration.

Funny I also got Roomette 2 in car 5800 for the MEM-CHI segment, but every inch of room 2 is for me and me only. When I go on the Cardinal, same thing. Roomette 1 (finally not a 2) in car 5000 is mine.

Still need to book my last segment, PHL-ATL on #19. Hopefully within a month when finances allow.

It also looks like after arrival on #50, I am going to consider staying overnight in Philly, since #50 does come in during the 8 PM hour if it's on time. Then I can go home Monday morning in daylight.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users