#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:33 AM

This thread is for anything taking place during our brief time in Roanoke, between arrival Saturday night and departure Sunday morning.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 09:59 PM

Those staying at the Curio Hotel Roanoke either walked via the pedestrian bridge (which had a non-working UP escalator) or took hired car service.   Tomorrow morning in daylight I surmise there will be a little more exploring before we all have to be on the platform for our return trip.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5375 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:02 PM

Hotel Roanoke is first rate. In a technology win, the digital key on my Hilton phone app worked!  Bypassed check-in, right to my room and opened the door.  Room has a view of the NS mainline. What more could you want?  :)

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 12:01 PM

Very nice breakfast at Curio Hotel Roanoke. Afterwards, we made our way across the pedestrian bridge and to the station platform, just as the consist was being backed into the station.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:55 PM

Comfort Inn was pretty standard fare for a mid-range limited service hotel. Walked about 15 minutes from the station to the hotel, checked in, and had some food delivered before falling asleep. Morning breakfast was a decent spread, though you had to reheat most of the hot items if you wanted them. Nice pancake machine though.

After breakfast we took the trail from the hotel over to the Hotel Roanoke to meet up with the rest of the group. Nice trail, though I did get some weeds stuck in my wheels for a bit. Pulled them out and it was smooth sailing afterwards.

#6 Railroad Bill

Railroad Bill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 11:52 AM

Having arrived a day early into RNK on Train 171 I will relate some of my adventures as I awaited the scheduled BRRE members on Sat.

My 171 train was quite late and after numerous attempts to secure a cab, without success, I decided to walk up the hill to the Comfort Inn. It was after midnight and the experience for this old guy was interesting and a bit demanding physically.  But made it to the hotel, checked in. Gave me the room on the top floor that I had requested. Called my wife to inform her of my status and hit the bed.  

Next morning after breakfast I walked down the hill on Gainsboro Ave and across the footbridge hoping for some railfanning opportunities but after a few minutes it was time to walk to my first stop. The Taubman Museum of Art.  Some very impressive exhibits including 19th-20th century female artists of Virginia, African American artists, a photo exhibit of Ancel Adams' works that was excellent,  a George Washington at Yorktown display of art, maps, and other artifacts from that Revolutionary War event, a display hanging from the ceiling of Broadway show costumes and dresses..Very impressive.   And several others.  

Walked the length of the downtown to the Transportation Museum of Virginia where I spent two hours perusing the elaborate displays of N&W history, many examples of rolling stock and locomotives as well as old wagons, hearses, and then a nice display of classic cars.   Walked back to town and had lunch. Enjoyed how the downtown has been rehabbed into nice restaurants, shops, farmers market, and live bands playing in the central park area.  I decided after all that walking in rather warm temps that I would take the city bus back to the hotel.  Watched some golf on TV, a sub from Jimmy Johns for supper and relax the remainder of the evening. 

Next morning I joined JebR for breakfast downstairs and then we walked on the Lick Greenway trail down to meet the BRRE members outside the Roanoke Hotel.  

Enjoyed the extra day to explore and hope to return someday to catch other museums and maybe drive the Blue Ridge Pky, something I did in the 1950s with my parents.

Edited by Railroad Bill, 14 July 2021 - 10:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users