MWRF Minneapolis/St. Paul meals

59 replies to this topic

#31 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:36 AM

I've seen that on a few menus and places around here. It's always referred to paying with a personal check.

#32 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:30 PM

The concern too is those a little less mobile than the rest of us ---  3-1/2 blocks each way is 7 blocks total, and we do have light rail to catch back to St. Paul afterwards.

Is 3 1/2 blocks in MSP the equivalent of a 1/4 mile (or more or less)?  I am on the "more mobile" side, so it is no problem for me.  There is one participant who walks with a cane (whom I just texted to see if the walk is a problem) and there is another participant who is "over 65."  I will text her son to see if the walk is a problem for her.

#33 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 01:44 PM

I heard back from the son of one those that may be considered "less mobile."  I was told that she would not have a problem with 3 1/2 blocks each way from transit to restaurant "as long as we're not running or jogging there."  :)

#34 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:05 PM

Is 3 1/2 blocks in MSP the equivalent of a 1/4 mile (or more or less)?  I am on the "more mobile" side, so it is no problem for me.  There is one participant who walks with a cane (whom I just texted to see if the walk is a problem) and there is another participant who is "over 65."  I will text her son to see if the walk is a problem for her.

According to my mapping program (very accurate), the distance from the Nicollet Mall light rail platform to the 8th Street grill is 0.30 miles.  

Edited by KevinKorell, 30 June 2015 - 03:36 PM.
Removed nested response

#35 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:37 PM

Another datapoint: the walking distance from the Downtown East light rail station platform to the entrance of Old Spaghetti Factory is 0.22 miles.

#36 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

Thanks Bill.  That information may help the "undecided" make a decision or express a preference.

#37 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:42 PM

Republic is 1-2 blocks (or about 1/10 - 2/10 of a mile) from the West Bank station, depending on if they take the Cedar Ave. exit (shorter) or 19th Ave. (longer.)

Best Steakhouse is probably too close to measure...if you leave the platform on Victoria St. coming from Minneapolis (which is where the main entry/exit is) you cross one lane of traffic (controlled intersection with stoplight,) and walk about 10 steps to the front entrance.

To expand (or perhaps muddy) what Bill said, it's about three blocks to Old Spaghetti Factory, maybe a touch less (from Chicago and 4th, where the light rail exits.) It's about 3 and a half blocks to 8th Street Grill (from Marquette and 5th, where one of the two sides of that platform exit.)

Edited by jebr, 30 June 2015 - 02:51 PM.

#38 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82611 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:55 PM

Jeb, Bill's measuring of the distance in fractions of a mile as opposed to blocks is because the definition of a "block" can very greatly from city to city.  In a place like Salt Lake City that we visited last summer, the streets are very wide, and a block is very long. Los Angeles area streets are far apart too.  In the major northeastern cities, streets are much closer together.  So how many "blocks" we walk is subjective, and many of us having never been to the Twin Cities don't know until we get there how far 3-1/2 blocks really is.  It is also hard to distinguish actual distance from online satellite programs because the street grids look alike whether the blocks are far from or close to one another.  Another issue is topography.  A block uphill is much harder to walk than a block downhill, regardless of the distance. A block in San Francisco or Seattle can be hilly, while in eastern cities it's usually fairly flat.  I assume Minneapolis is relatively flat.

Edited by KevinKorell, 30 June 2015 - 04:13 PM.
Added last thought

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#39 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:04 PM

The group member that walks with a cane has informed me that he is able to walk 3 blocks, but at a slow pace. (we did not discuss the length of the blocks)

#40 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:42 PM

Blocks in downtown Minneapolis (where options are being discussed) are about 1/10 of a mile. Old Spaghetti Factory has a slight incline going back to the light rail (it's visible, but it's a very gentle slope compared to San Francisco) and Republic has an incline (also relatively gentle compared to San Francisco) going to the restaurant. The rest mentioned in downtown Minneapolis have no discernible incline, nor does Best Steakhouse in St. Paul

The intersections were added as another reference point, in case people desired them.

Edited by jebr, 30 June 2015 - 05:44 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users