#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

I'm in a position now where I can make the announcement that we are going to have our annual summer Rail Fest in Southern California. The news regaring my employment has changed, at least now, for the better. (If you want full details on that and I haven't already explained, e-mail me and I'll let you know.)

Even when my ability to hold this fest was uncertain, for the past month I have still been planning it as I did so at this point in advance of our previous summer events. The homepage for this fest is here. There are links on that page that connect you to listings of rail lines in each city we will be visiting, expected transit costs, hotels and restaurants in the area, and the itinerary itself.

As always, the itinerary is subject to change, as I continue to explore the best way to get as much train riding in as possible while giving us ample time to have lunch and dinner during each day's activities. Already I've recently changed to order of Saturday activities because I found that we would not be near any decent places to eat at dinnertime.

A major change to the itinerary as you may have known it is that it has been shortened by one day. I realize we're in a recession, and I found through researching Amtrak fares and hotel rates that a stopover in Albuquerque on the way east would have added potentially $350 to our expenses. Unfortunately after consulting with some of our fest regulars, it was determined that Albuquerque was the most expendable aspect of the itinerary. So we now will pass through on the Southwest Chief, going directly from Los Angeles to Chicago. Yes it hurts, and it will hurt more if and when we see RailRunner trains at the Albuquerque station when we pass through. But with the economy being what it is, and with us already paying for a total of five hotel nights within California (and one in New Orleans), this was a sensible choice. We can always visit ABQ another time. Passing through without riding their trains will be as painful as passing through Atlanta and not riding MARTA, passing through Houston and not riding their light rail, and passing within 30 miles of Phoenix and not riding their new light rail line... all of which will happen for those who ride the entire itinerary on Amtrak. Those places all give us destinations to visit on future fests.

The result of the ABQ stopover being eliminated is that we arrive in Chicago one day earlier, and those heading for the east coast also get back a day sooner.

The dates for the entire fest are now Monday, July 13 through Saturday, July 25. As the itinerary indicates, we will board the Crescent in east coast cities and travel to New Orleans. We have to spend the night there, and then we leave headed westbound on the Sunset Limited late morning the next day (Wednesday 7/15). If things work out right for this train, we arrive in Los Angeles on Friday morning, 7/17. No activities are planned for midday, to allow for a late arrival and possibly stowing our luggage at our hotels. One evening Metrolink round trip will take place that day, provided we didn't arrive super late.

Saturday 7/18 will be spent taking two other Metrolink round trips. Sunday 7/19 we will start working on riding the Metro lines, and also ride the tourist streetcar in San Pedro (note: this does require a 26-minute bus ride each way between Long Beach and San Pedro). Monday 7/20 will be the remaining Metro lines, and a circle trip involving three Metrolink lines (including the Inland Empire-Orange County, or IEOC Line that does not serve Union Station).

Tuesday 7/21 we leave Los Angeles, and head south. First we will stop in Oceanside and ride the Sprinter to Escondido and back. Then we take Coaster to San Diego. We can check into our hotels, and enjoy an evening dinner after that. By consensus we could also do an evening trolley round trip to the Mexican border to see the warring drug cartels and get that out the way so we don't have to worry about it on Wednesday.

Wednesday 7/22 we will ride all San Diego Trolley routes. Then we head north on a Pacific Surfliner towards Los Angeles, followed by boarding the eastbound Southwest Chief.

Arrival in Chicago would be Friday afternoon, and then we depart from there that evening for east coast destinations, arriving on Saturday 7/25.

Note that if we get into New Orleans early on 7/14 there may be time to ride the streetcars together. Likewise, if time allows in Chicago on 7/24, we could do some CTA travel as a group. I don't make any official plans for these stopovers because they have tended to jinx us in the past.

Further updates will be posted in this subforum.

Remember, you need not travel with us wire to wire all 13 days, but I suspect some will. :) You are free to join us at any part of any day, or leave early too if you have other plans. You still get credit for being a part of the fest.

Please begin e-mailing me with your intentions to join all or part of this event. Once I have a few confirmations I will begin a participant list.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

I am updating and moving this list of travel and hotel specifics, now that the event has been shortened by a day and we're more definite. If you plan to spend all or most of the time with us, you would need hotels in the following places: Tues 7/14: New Orleans Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, 7/17-7/20 (checkout Tues 7/21) Los Angeles area Tues 7/21: San Diego We would be on the following long distance trains: 19 (7/13) NYP-NOL 1 (7/15) NOL-LAX 4 (7/22) LAX-CHI 48 (7/24) CHI-NYP Your trains may vary if you decide to take a different route or join or leave the group at a different time. There would also be shorter trips on Pacific Surfliner trains: 768(7/21) LAX-OSD 579(7/22) SAN-LAX About the Surfliners... These trains offer unreserved coach service, so a one-way ticket on one Pacific Surfliner is good on another. However if you wish to ride in Business Class, that is reserved so you must be on the train that you have reserved. A few small issues with this... First if you are planning to use AGR points for the eastbound trip, that trip can begin in San Diego rather than Los Angeles, since we're going on the same day. Beware however that they may try to sell you Train #583, the train following the one chosen above. #583 only offers a one-hour window before #4 departs LAX, and I would rather we had more time in Union Station before our long trip. Also, checked baggage is only available on certain Pacific Surfliner trips. According to the current timetable, #579 doesn't have it, but #583 does. IF you did take #583 and we were running very late, it might be possible to make the switch in Fullerton rather than Los Angeles. But then you may run the risk of being considered a no-show and your sleeper re-sold. That assumes you don't have checked baggage. So think of the those things before you purchase a ticket for the SAN-LAX trip. Of course if you need the 100 points (which you would get whether you go in coach or upgrade to BC), you can still pay for it. Train #768, which we are taking from Los Angeles to Oceanside, does offer checked baggage.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:59 PM

One thing sad is that for the 12 days now needed for the fest the itinerary now maximizes the use of weekdays, thus maximizing the need for vacation days. I guess the days of Sunset limited makes anything else impossible. C'est la vie. OTOH, joining the fest only in California requires only 4 days off, which is good. I am currently having a healthy debate with myself on whether to just join in California taking 4 days off or join starting Saturday morning for the latter half of the trip starting that day, taking 5 days off. I am leaning towards the latter.

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

One thing sad is that for the 12 days now needed for the fest the itinerary now maximizes the use of weekdays, thus maximizing the need for vacation days. I guess the days of Sunset limited makes anything else impossible. C'est la vie.

OTOH, joining the fest only in California requires only 4 days off, which is good.

I am currently having a healthy debate with myself on whether to just join in California taking 4 days off or join starting Saturday morning for the latter half of the trip starting that day, taking 5 days off. I am leaning towards the latter.

Usually we do maximize weekdays, since there is the most service on weekdays (aside from the streetcar in San Pedro that runs weekends only). Yes, the Sunset Limited's schedule is a factor as well. We could not shift things a day one way or the other either way because the Sunset only runs every 2 or 3 days apart.

I've been moderating on the OTOL boards and the chat rooms for many years, so if you need a moderator for your healthy debate with yourself, let me know... :lol:

Edited by KevinKorell, 28 March 2009 - 03:28 PM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

PUT ME ON THE LIST!!!!!. I got my sleepers booked, and I'm ready to pack. The suitcase has already been look at, and i;m already counting changes of underwear and thinking about laundry. Jis, You know wou will be there. It woudln't be the same without you. Plus you can see the double tracking that has been done on the Sunset route.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:58 PM

PUT ME ON THE LIST!!!!!. I got my sleepers booked, and I'm ready to pack. The suitcase has already been look at, and i;m already counting changes of underwear and thinking about laundry.

Jis,

You know wou will be there. It woudln't be the same without you. Plus you can see the double tracking that has been done on the Sunset route.

Steve,

I'll create the list by the middle of the upcoming week, and you'll be proud to be a charter member of it. I admit that I, too have already been looking at how to handle the laundry -- how many outfits to bring for a 13-day journey.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:18 PM

Jis,

You know wou will be there. It woudln't be the same without you. Plus you can see the double tracking that has been done on the Sunset route.

Actually I did the Sunset-Crescent in the opposite direction for the AU LAX trip last year, so I have seen most of the new double tracks.

Kevin, the issue that I was dealing with is on what days in December I have a Continental FF mile paid free Business-First seats available to India, since on that depends how many days I have to take off in December for that trip. Now that I have my seats booked for the trip to India using FF miles I have the info needed to decide which course to take for the Railfest. It will be 5 vacation days and joining starting Saturday for the rest of the trip. I will fly out Friday late afternoon/evening to LAX. I will probably stay at the same hotel near LAX that I stayed in for the AU trip.

So count me in for Saturday onwards definitely. I will try to get out of EWR late morning on Friday and see if I can join up for the afternoon trip, but seems unlikely at present.

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:09 PM

Jis, It will be great to see you.

#9 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:14 PM

Jis,
It will be great to see you.

Likewise!

#10 GG-1

GG-1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

PUT ME ON THE LIST!!!!!. I got my sleepers booked, and I'm ready to pack. The suitcase has already been look at, and i;m already counting changes of underwear and thinking about laundry.

Jis,

Steve,

I'll create the list by the middle of the upcoming week, and you'll be proud to be a charter member of it. I admit that I, too have already been looking at how to handle the laundry -- how many outfits to bring for a 13-day journey.

Aloha

Thanks for the Laff, I wonder Why so much concern for a easy task :rolleyes: :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users