#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

I want to start open discussion on the locations and trip elements being considered for our Fest this Summer.  By this time last year the RRF trip and host cities were already known (if not announced yet), and thus some people had already made a number of Amtrak and hotel reservations based on possible travel days and weeks.

This is not yet an announcement of anything, as many details need to be worked out. Free time is less than what it used to be, and focus right now is on the Fest at hand that I depart for in 10 days.

For starters one thing almost certain is that we will pass through Chicago at some point or points.  Thus those on the east coast would need to think about 1 or 2 nights in sleepers in each direction. In case some don't have enough AGR points and might need to purchase some, there is currently a 30% bonus promotion where one can get some "free" points with a regular points purchase. Thus for example paying the normal rate for 10,000 points would get you 13,000 points.  See here for details.

Next, I can say that the Fest will be sometime within the second and third full calendar weeks of July, which would be the weeks that start with Sunday the 12th and Sunday the 19th. The exact days have NOT yet been determined since the venues and required trip segments are still unknown.  It  could start as early as Friday the 10th or end as late as Sunday the 26th when weekends are considered.

Now what exactly are the possibilities?  First off there have been requests for Pittsburgh, which has long been put off because of their lack of a Day Pass fare instrument.  They now have  a loadable smart card that will still cost us a good bit, but at least we won't have to keep digging for change in our pockets to cover all the various surcharges that are built into PAT's fare structure.   Pittsburgh is only an idea, and it would go hand in hand with another request to ride the Pennsylvanian via the Horseshoe Curve.  It would not stand alone as a Fest but be a 28 hour stopover (one night in a hotel) since we would arrive on the Pennsylvanian around 8 PM one night and leave around midnight the next night on the Capitol Limited westbound.  So this option would add one day to whatever else is decided upon.

Other place being considered are the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, to ride the two light rail lines as well as Northstar commuter rail.  Out of Chicago, this would take three days to accomplish.  One day westbound on the Empire Builder, two nights in hotels in St. Paul, one full day in the area to ride the above, and then one day eastbound on the Empire Builder back to Chicago.  With this option comes dealing with the train's poor timekeeping and the news that BNSF will again be doing heavy construction along their transcontinental line.

Another choice being considered is Dallas, which would be a 10th Anniversary return visit after Eagle RailFest 2005.  Whether we do this in 2015 however, hinges on completion of the Oak Cliff Streetcar and the downtown extensions of the M-Line. Both are scheduled to be done this year, but as we know from Washington, DC, dates can keep on slipping well beyond our expectations.  If either one will ends up opening after mid-July, then we save this entire idea for another time.

A trip to Dallas would obviously be longer than visiting the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.  And with it comes other opportunities that would we would not want to miss.  Out of Fort Worth we could do the Heartland Flyer to Oklahoma City, stay there, and then come back the following day -- which adds another day to such an event (but it can be done in tandem with a ride on Trinity Railway Express between Dallas & Fort Worth).  I also would want to do a 24 hour stopover in Little Rock to ride that city's RiverRail streetcar (which is very much similar to Tampa's TECO operation).

I haven't had the time yet to work out how long each of the above scenarios would take, or what days of the week would be best. Obviously some systems are better visited on weekdays when there is more service, but somewhere along the line we could encounter travel on a weekend as well.  I'll post a number of potential itineraries when I get the chance to do so.

But at least this is a start so we can post our ideas and talk about it in person during the WARF event this month.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5368 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:35 AM

An alternate idea for Pittsburgh would be a short, three-day, two-night fest maybe in early spring or late fall (kind of like the Boston "T" Party in November, 2007).  The Pennsylvanian sets up nicely for that: arriving in the evening, the next day devoted to riding PGH stuff, then the third day back east on Pennsylvanian.  If a fall weekend is chosen that does not have a Steelers home game, I expect hotels would not be expensive, and the Pennsylvanian is an inexpensive ride (by Amtrak standards).  The lower cost of getting there and back could help offset the higher cost of the PGH transit rides.  Just a thought.

By the way, Horseshoe Curve is OK, but just west of there the route is climbing on a mountainside with a spectacular view across a valley.  That, for me, is the scenic highlight of the trip between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.  Horseshoe Curve is kind of like that restaurant in your city that every visitor wants to try even though you know it's overrated.  You take them there, and it's OK, but you know the place down the street is better.

As for the general fest plans, I'm fine with them. As you know all too well, my involvement in the Fests is surgical.  In each of the future fests, I can carve out a two or three night involvement that would work just fine for me.  I'll leave the more in-depth suggestions to those who will actually participate wire-to-wire.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

For the longest time, Bill, that was what was proposed on paper for Pittsburgh.  Simple out and back from the east coast, which would be 3 full days with the Pennsylvanian round trip.  The negatives to this are the 2 night required stay for one day of transit riding, and the fact it sort of excludes those west of Pittsburgh (except for the Capitol Limited possibility) since the Pennsylvanian ride would be 2/3 of the total 3-day activity.  Doing it this way in one direction reduces the stay in town to just one night, and those from the Midwest can come to the east coast and ride west with us.  The eastbound departure time of 42 is also a little earlier than some might like, and so going west avoids that.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:43 PM

If I had my choice it would be the twin cities or the twin cities combined with another city.  Dallas would be ok too.  

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

If I had my choice it would be the twin cities or the twin cities combined with another city.  Dallas would be ok too.  

I am with Steve regarding twin cities as first choice.  I would also like to go Pittsburgh on the way west to MSP.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:02 AM

I think I usually promise that we will talk about the summer Fest at the winter one, and then we don't really have a group discussion.  It is difficult to get people who walk at various speeds all in one place and the same time, and even at dinner we usually are seated at a very long table and thus can't really talk from one end to the other.

So the discussion will keep on going here.  As the WARF event drew closer and concentration had to be placed on this fest and particularly last minute changes, I was also unable to come up with scenarios based on different cities as a destination or stopover point.  I've heard and considered the above suggestions but it's up to everyone who would like to participate this summer to either agree with the above or add their own desires for what we can do this summer.  No doubt some are itching to book Amtrak and hotel rooms as soon as a host city or cities are announced.  But again even when decisions are made on the cities, the best scenario has to be worked out with regard to days of the week and the best week(s) to travel in the month.  Some transit systems do not run on weekends or their headways are longer.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:23 AM

Have any decisions been made regarding location and/or timing of the summer fest?  Is it safe to assume that the summer fest will be held in July sometime after July 4th?  It appears that the twin cities is a popular choice.

(I am one of those itching to book hotels and trains :lol:)

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

Almost. Based on suggestions above I am pretty close to a decision. Once I am comfortable with a decision - and a name - , I do need some time to put together the appropriate web pages to present it as I always do. I expect that it will take up part of the 2nd and 3rd full weeks of July, and probably last 7-9 days in total depending on how long one participates (longer for personal travels).   In the meantime, I suggest patience and a bottle of calamine lotion for the itchiness.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

I like the idea of Pittsburgh and the Twin Cities combined. Going to Dallas and combining that with another city would make for a long trip, espeically if we did a side trip to Little Rock and Oklahoma. Isn't OKC opening a streetcar sometime in the near future? I also like Pittsburgh because my sister lives there and can stay with her.

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

I am not sure about a streetcar in OKC.  What has made news is a tourist line that will run between the OKC suburbs and Tulsa suburbs.

I would pair Dallas with a side trip on Heartland Flyer.  Time overnight in OKC between 822's arrival and 821's departure does not allow much time there for anything except sleeping, and there isn't much else there train-related that warrants spending an entire day there.

Once Dallas has its 2 streetcar extensions up and running, which should be this year unless they have an identity crisis and think they are Washington, DC, perhaps they should be the next locale considered.  I agree that Dallas, with side trips to OKC and Little Rock probably makes enough of a Fest event given the overnight trips on the Texas Eagle between those areas and Chicago.   A trip to Texas could also have Kansas City and St. Louis added to spice up the trip if it doesn't end up being long enough.  We shall see what is available for next year.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users