• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shivasgirl66

shivasgirl66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 10:04 PM

Hi! I am taking my 11 yr old twins on a train trip from Florida to Dallas next March. I need tips, lol. We have an 8 hour lay over in DC. Is there a place to store our stuff while we sight see? Same in Chicago where we have 5 hours. We will be in coach seats for the three day trip and we are only going one way. Do they let children board first? Is it busy in March? I would appreciate any travel tips and hints. Thanks!

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:09 AM

First of all, I suggest you check our Amtrak Travel Tips pages on our sister website.  This should hopefully answer a lot of your questions.

To respond specifically to some of your questions: 

Assuming you are infrequent travelers I would assume you don't have status in Amtrak's loyalty program, Amtrak Guest Rewards.  The Select Plus or Executive tiers allow you access to the Club Acela in Washington and Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, good places to store luggage while you are out sightseeing. Access is also allowed for first class sleeper passengers.  Short of that, you should be able to, for a nominal fee, ask the baggage staff at either of those stations if you can store your luggage and pick it up later. Make sure you do, however, claim it well in advance of your scheduled departure so that you don't miss the final boarding call.

Both Chicago and Washington do pre-board families needing extra assistance.  This will just give your family a little extra time get to the train and find your seats.  In coach class, a conductor or attendant will usually be standing outside and direct you to a group of seats together.   The seats are 2 X 2 in each row, so more than likely the three of you will be in 2 adjacent seats plus one across the aisle.

Is it busy in March?  It depends on the calendar (when the holidays fall) and it is susceptible to staggered Spring Breaks at colleges which tend to extend the travel season through parts of March and April.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.  Enjoy your trip and we would like to hear how it went once you return.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 shivasgirl66

shivasgirl66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:51 PM

Thank you! This will be our first trip so I dont have any rewards yet. We also will be going coach the whole way because sleepers are way out of our price range. We are going for the experience as we usually drive to Dallas. The itinerary says our luggage will be checked, but then I was told by someone that she was supposed to have checked luggage and did not. When they check it, does that mean it is loaded each time and I dont have to deal with it or do I have to collect it with each transfer?

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 02 October 2016 - 11:47 PM

As long as both your origin and destination stations do handle checked baggage, you can check it through without having to claim it at stopover stations en route. It will be transferred between trains by Amtrak crews. But you have to get to your origin station well in advance of departure, and make it known to the agent that you want to check your luggage. Make sure however that you also pack an overnight carry-on bag with changes of clothes and toiletries, enough for several days and nights.

May I ask what station in Florida you will be starting your trip from?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 shivasgirl66

shivasgirl66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

Orlando. We are taking the bus from Tampa. Our stops are in DC and Chicago on to Dallas so I cant imagine any of them not doing checked baggage. I am mainly concerned with what to do with our pillows and blankets and carry on bags while we are sight seeing

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

I board the Silver Meteor from Orlando quite often.  They generally have passengers form 2 lines in preparation for boarding.  One for coach passengers and one for sleeper passengers.  The coach passenger line with form near the south side of the station (from the waiting room make a left).  The sleeper line is generally in front of the waiting room.  

Generally, passengers will be directed to a coach based on destination.  Usually, the coach attendant will assign seats.  

When you are lining up, listen to announcements.  If the train is crowded, they will instruct parties of 3 (or 4) or more to come to the front of the line so that there is a greater chance that the party can be seated together.

Please PM if you have any questions about the Orlando station.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users