#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82705 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:32 AM

Use this thread to report on experiences aboard Train 147, from wherever you boarded to our destination of Roanoke.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:35 AM

I am the first rider on todays train. BC has a few passengers getting on in Springfield. The HGI Springfield got the job done. Decent breakfast and prompt service. I scheduled a Lyft ride for 7:45 am the night before. Driver arrived at 8:05 and I was at station by 8:15. Entered from south side. The Lyft Appp had me going to the north side. I was not sure the tunnel went all the way through so I had the Lyft driver take me to the south side. There was a functional elevator and I was on the platform by 8:20. The train moved up and boarded at 8:25. The Cafe car has tables on both sides. Have not seen one of those.

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:54 AM

Turns out I was in wrong car. The crew explained that BC was 2 cars further back. I walked back there and my assigned seat was a wall. This is why I hate Amfleet equipment. The AC calmly tried to move me but the car was sold out. I asked if I could volunteer to self downgrade to coach. No problem. I appreciated that. Now have a window seat.

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 09:15 AM

Arrived in Nee Haven. Apparently train is filling up. Announcements made to remove items from adjacent seat. Not doing so could get one removed from the train.

#5 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 12:56 PM

Lou boarded in New Haven. We agreed to have lunch after New York Penn. Parts of the bins on both of my hot dogs were hard as rock.

It was bound to happen. Someone got an Amscolding for using their cell phone in the quiet car. It happened at Trenton.

#6 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1515 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 03:12 PM

There was a second altercation involving the same person near New Carrollton. This time it was a passenger.

#7 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 07:27 PM

My trip on 147 was very pleasant.  I lucked into a good seat with no seatmate.

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82705 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 09:42 PM

Our trip on 147 went well.   Boarding in Washington was slow, considering the train had arrived there on time.  The Washington engine change apparently took longer than scheduled.   Also, for the Washington-Roanoke segment there was only one conductor working, which meant at all low platforms (all including Washington and except Roanoke) boarding had to be done at a single door in front of the café car.  So after we had walked almost to the Business Class car, we had to go back to the café and board there, then walk through 3 cars to get to Business.

Aboard the train most had no seatmate.  I had one until Culpeper.  The hot dog I had en route from the café was not too bad. 

After leaving Washington at 4:46 PM (11 minutes late), we ran about the same, never more than 15 minutes down.  We reached Roanoke at 9:46 PM, 13 minutes off the advertised.  We then went to our respective hotels.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82705 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:48 PM

Itinerary was updated including actual times for all stops our group used on 147.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 jebr

jebr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:52 PM

147 was pretty uneventful - my experience pretty much match's Kevin's. I did do a last-minute seat switch on the app from 9A to 6A, as someone was seated in 9C but not 6C. Enjoyed having the seat pair to myself for that trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users