#11 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:26 AM

When I am home I can look at the MAX LRT & Portland Streetcar and see if the places named so far are near stations... or just how far a walk they may be.

When I promise, I deliver.

Yardhouse is indeed right near the confluence of all MAX light rail lines. The north-south LRT tracks (Yellow, Orange, & Green Lines) are on the couplet of Fifth Avenue southbound and Sixth Avenue northbound. The Yardhouse is at 888 SW Fifth Avenue, so it would be one block south of the Pioneer Place/SW 5th station southbound, or 3 blocks south & east of the Pioneer Courthouse/SW 6th Avenue station northbound. In addition, the east-west LRT tracks (Red & Blue Lines) run on the couplet of Morrison & Yamhill Streets. The eastbound Mall/4th Avenue station is less than 2 blocks walk, and the westbound Mall/5th Avenue station is also about 2 blocks walk.  It's about 5-6 blocks from the streetcar lines, which run on another couplet of streets (10th & 11th Avenues).

Deschutes is at NW 11th Avenue at Davis.  The Streetcar stations on NW 10th Avenue northbound and NW 11th Avenue southbound are 1 block north at Everett.   It would be a long walk from the closest MAX stations however.

Likewise, Henry's 12th Street Tavern (a misnomer since it's 12th Avenue, not Street) is closest to the Streetcar lines.  The southbound NS and B Loop stop closest at NW 11th & Couch, about  a block around the corner, and the northbound NS and A Loop stop at NW 10th & Couch, one more block to the east. 

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#12 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:07 AM

Sun goes down late in July, may be just late evening trip if the streetcar loop is done after dinner.  Also keep in mind that besides MAX light rail going over the Steel Bridge, the A & B Streetcar loops also run perpendicular to them in the Lloyd District and thus might take you from restaurant to area of your hotel.

That works for me also, if you are looking for a consensus.

#13 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:24 AM

I ate at the yard house in Chicago. A glossy sports bar with a menu that tries to please everybody. Location wise this is a good plan B. It's a great location but we might able to find a better alternative with more research. I am going to revisit penny's suggesti9ns today during my prep. If my wanna be diva colleague is too bossy, this might get done during 2nd period.

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:34 AM

Remember with all the suggestions, they need to be able to meet our needs. So even though they might be convenient to rail and priced affordably, we also need to be able to get separate checks and they should be able to accommodate a group where everyone has easy access to and egress from the tables. So phone calls to the places may help to narrow down the choices.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

I will start that process today.

#16 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

I called Deschutes and they do not take reservations.  They do do separate checks.  They lady explained that if we called about 30 minutes before hand they could tell us if that would be possible.  Looking at the itinerary, we could eat in Portland around 5 as long as BNSF does not torpedo the Cascades with freight traffic.  The hostess said that is not normally a busy time. 

Henry's does take reservations, and they ask that we make them about 10 days ahead of time. They do take separate checks.   

The yard house also takes reservations.  The person I spoke to  said the manager would have to approve a reservation for a group, but 10 people or so would not be a big deal.  This does separate checks too. 

So it looks like we have three viable alternatives.    After calling and reviewing the menus all three have interesting menus and I could eat at any one of them. 

I will start the vote taking now.  Just replay with the place that you like.  After the same deadline that I posted in the Seattle pages, (I don't remember what I said) I will look to making an "executive decision along with a few others and then making reservations if that is possible. 

Edited by steve4031, 24 May 2016 - 12:55 PM.

#17 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

Thank you Steve, for doing the "leg work" and "phone work."   At this time, I am uncertain which of the 3 restaurants I prefer.  I do find it odd that Henry's wants reservations made 10 days in advance.  Maybe they only have a few tables that can accommodate 10 people.  

Hopefully the participants, who are pickier eaters than I am, will express their opinions first.  Possibly their preferences will hold more weight than the preferences of others who can find something to eat at each restaurant.

#18 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

Looking at the three menus, Henry's looks like it would have something I would like.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#19 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:20 PM

Looking at the three menus, Henry's looks like it would have something I would like.

Kevin, are you admitting to being a pickier eater than I am? :)

Edited by pennyk, 24 May 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#20 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

That's why we call and do this stuff early. We avoid surprises from strange policies. If enough people vote for Henry's we can meet that criteria.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users