#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:17 AM

I have made some minor but exciting changes to the itinerary for Eagle RailFest 2005.

These changes will have no impact on our travel or hotel plans.

In St. Louis, I have changed our travels on Metrolink so that we will head west for Lambert International Airport first, and then ride end to end to the Shiloh-Scott end of the line in Illinois. This will allow a return to downtown with enough time to go through security in advance of our Gateway Arch visit. The old version of the itinerary cut things too tight at the Arch station. The walk from the Arch-Laclede's Landing station to the Arch itself is about five minutes.

Dallas was changed too, specifically Tuesday 7/19, our getaway day. That day was assigned primarily to riding the McKinney Avenue streetcar (aka M-Line) and visiting the Reunion Tower before boarding the northbound TEXAS EAGLE. Originally I had us getting off the DART light rail at the St. Paul station downtown, and walking several blocks west to the St. Paul & Ross endpoint of the M-Line. That is what I did when in Dallas the last time, long before it was extended to Cityplace. Now that the M-Line meets the light rail line at Cityplace, I changed our transfer point to Cityplace. So in essence we will ride the M-Line round trip originating at the newer end of the route rather than where one used to start from. This will also allow us to visit the M-Line's car barn, hopefully getting a tour of the barn itself as well as streetcars on the property but not in service. The car barn has a gift shop as well that may interest our participants. By making the transfer at Cityplace, it means we will have a purpose for riding that station's "Inclinator" as well.

The revamped itinerary is here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:25 PM

And just when you thought it was safe to print out the itinerary, Kevin has been tinkering once more!

This time I made a further change to Tuesday, July 19th in Dallas. Instead of eating lunch at West Village (near Cityplace), which I decided looks too trendy and expensive for lunch, we will instead go one stop south on the light rail to the Pearl station. Near there is an office/retail/hotel complex known as Plaza of the Americas, where there is a food court and some free standing restaurants as well.

In addition, a change was made for Sunday, July 17th in Dallas. If we arrive in town on time, and choose to go to the Age of Steam Museum, we will have to take a DART #60 bus from the street side of Union Station directly to the park. This is about a 16-minute trip in each direction. The bus runs every half hour on Sundays, but I chose arbitrary times based on a possible on time or hour late arrival of the TEXAS EAGLE. If we get into town too late to be able to enjoy the museum before it closes at 5 PM, then we simply scrub that plan. If we do go to the museum, we can purchase the DART DayPass ($2.50) from the ticket machines on the rail side of Union Station. These are good on the #50 bus both ways, and since most of us will be taking the light rail to our hotels from there, it will pay off for that third trip of the day.

So the itinerary now has times for the bus trip. The costs page has been adjusted to include purchase of a DayPass on Sunday.

I had not chosen a place to eat for dinner on Sunday evening, but I figure that we can get something at Fair Park after the museum. For dinner on Monday, I have us eating at West Side Marketplace. There is a branch of Old Spaghetti Warehouse there. Hopefully we can be seated in or near their trademark trolley car to end our day on a rail theme.

Itinerary
Dallas costs page

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users