#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

We plan on many streetcar boardings during our full day in New Orleans. The good news that came out today is that the all-day pass, now known as the "Jazzy Pass", has been reduced from $5 to $3.

And more good news is that the one-day Jazzy Pass can be purchased on board the streetcar when first boarding ....... or there's also a machine that vends them located in tne Neutral Ground (New Orleans term for "median") of Canal Street at Bourbon. This is a block from the Carondelet/Canal corner where we will be starting in the morning.

If anyone planned on getting the 3-day Jazzy Pass (which previously would have been worthwhile if you were going to be using streetcars or buses the evening we arrive, the full Fest day, and the day of our departure from town), this has NOT been reduced from $12. You would do better to buy the 1-day Jazzy Pass each day, or even better just buy the 1-day pass on the Fest day and pay individual fares the other days.

If staying elsewhere in the city, you may have a store that sells the passes closer to your hotel. The list of vendors is here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Cool. I can't wait to ace MARTA, new Orleans and Memphis. Steve

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

Just a reminder to bring ample $1 bills or coins with you to purchase the Jazzy Pass. On the night of our arrival in NOL after check-in I will take a walk over to the Canal/Carondelet/Bourbon intersection to check out the location and operation of the fare machine. Remember it's $3, not $5.... and I realize I didn't update that fact on my website but it's done now. Given all the streetcar riding we are scheduled to do in one day, $3 is a steal!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

A steal. I'm gonna ride so much it will be felony!!!

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

I just went there live in person to check this out. The $3 Day Pass is sold in a working ticket vending machine next to the LAKE-bound shelter of the Canal Line in the neutral ground of Canal Street. Watch yourself crossing the streets and tracks. At the machine, push button 2, push 2 again to select $3 One Day Pass. Machine takes $1, $5, $10, and $20 bills, or coins. I am not certain if you need to validate or how it's done here but there should be further instructions from the machine one you buy the pass. I texted this to everyone too, but if you didn't see that, hopefully you'll see this before the morning. Sorry I was delayed in getting back to everyone, but I was somehow drawn down Bourbon Street a few blocks. :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

When is a Day Pass not a Day Pass? Apparently when it gets slightly bent from the heat or however one stores it in between uses through no fault of the passenger. Found that out today when some were rejected. No excuse for that, as it still clearly indicates it is valid until 3 AM the following morning.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 amtrakwolverine

amtrakwolverine

• Membres
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Interests:Riding trains, railfaining, small engines, guitars

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:19 PM

When is a Day Pass not a Day Pass? Apparently when it gets slightly bent from the heat or however one stores it in between uses through no fault of the passenger. Found that out today when some were rejected. No excuse for that, as it still clearly indicates it is valid until 3 AM the following morning.

When a bus pass here gets wet or bent and the machine canīt read it the driver will look at it to make sure its still good.

#8 NJCoastExp

NJCoastExp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

Unfortunately this guy was a "by the book" POS. And made people pay regular one-way fares ($1.25 each way vs $3 day pass).:angry:

Edited by KevinKorell, 21 July 2011 - 12:05 AM.

This is train 3267, 5:43 Long Branch express with connection to Bay Head. South Amboy is next. First and last cars are Quiet Cars. All tickets please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users