• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

Looks like construction is now underway. Yesterday, as I was walking up Yesler to Pioneer Square Station from Colman Dock, I saw the Businesses open during construction sign.

https://seattlestree...uction-updates/

#32 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 03:37 AM

I was out trying out the new e-bikes that LimeBike is running, and going down 1st Ave, saw the utility relocation underway, with the Northbound lanes closed between Yesler Way and Jackson St.

#33 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:58 PM

We used to have two good competing dailies in the city.  Now we have but one and this was the headline in today's edition:

From the Seattle Times.  I think infrastructure work is probably past the point of no return, and various contracts have been signed, though there will still be loud cries to abandon the whole nascent streetcar system.  Yes, the two current lines largely operate in mixed traffic, but Seattle streets are generally narrow and it couldn't be helped.  I will really have to celebrate this line when it is completed.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#34 Lightning

Lightning

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:05 PM

Not good.  Just what I feared, brought to us from the Seattle Times. If the Center City Connector is cancelled, in spite of all the preliminary work and planning which has already taken place, then I predict the entire Streetcar system would be shut down and dismantled.  Seattle loves its light rail and commuter rail, but the streetcar has been a tough nut to crack from the beginning.  Would be a shame, though.  I hope it gets another chance to prove itself a valuable addition to the transportation mix, with the Center City Connector line built out as planned.

"Big Green Chauvanist"

#35 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:02 AM

Definitely does not look good, but perhaps the potential lawsuits, and loss of future grants, may have an effect. Sounds odd, they complain about the ridership, and that they don't go anywhere, so they want to prevent the ridership from going up, and the streetcars from going somewhere. The First Hill Streetcar parallels part of Route 9, and with the downgrade of Rt9 to a diesel express route, the streetcar is the only transit on Broadway south of Madison. Also, I wonder if anybody criticizing the project has tried catching a bus on Marion St near the Ferry Dock, on the steep hill? Kitsap Transit's fast ferries are popular, and the riders need connections at the dock, same for Walk Ons on the WSF boats. The G line will help, but transferring at 3rd on the current 12, is a hassle.

Edited by EvergreenRailfan, 31 March 2018 - 11:38 PM.

#36 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

Seattle, WA Times, 6/26/18:

Fate of Seattle streetcar remains a mystery, as deadline passes for $416,000 consultant’s report

Seattle’s downtown streetcar expansion remains stuck in purgatory, with construction halted and no word on whether it will resume or if the $200 million project will be scrapped.

Update

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#37 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:05 PM

KING-TV, Channel 5 in Seattle, WA, 6/29/18:

Stalled Seattle streetcar construction impacting businesses

If it were up to Phil Bevis, the stories of heartache and dysfunction would only live on the pages of the books in his Pioneer Square bookstore.

Since 1995, when he first opened, he says things had been going well.

More

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#38 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:09 PM

KOMO-TV, Channel 4 in Seattle, WA, 6/28/18:

Pioneer Square businesses fed up with Seattle Streetcar construction and project delays

From the front door of his longtime bookstore, Phil Bevis is greeted by mounts of dirt and gravel and the rumble of heavy-duty construction equipment.

It's mounds of dirt, not mounts of dirt.   But it's dirt.  Story here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#39 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

Seattle, WA Times, 7/9/18:

Seattle streetcar needs extra $500,000 to cover last year’s costs

The Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) overspent its 2017 budget to operate the South Lake Union streetcar by more than $500,000, requiring the city council to pass legislation to retroactively approve the spending.

Story

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#40 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

Column in Seattle, WA Times, 7/17/18:

Center City streetcar line would complete badly needed transit link

For a city with so much luck, Seattle has done repeated face plants in attempting to build necessary rail transit. Never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. Shoot ourselves in the foot and reload.

Complete column continues.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users