• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 09:29 AM

I downloaded this app and am intending to use it for my NJT trips.  IIRC when I board the airtrain at Newark airport to go to the NJT newark airport station with the ultimate destination of NYP, I must buy a ticket before boarding the airtran so I can show it to get on the airtran.  I am assuming that I just show my phone to the agent and we will be allowed through the gate. 

IIRC this does not work in the tunnel, so I should have the app opened in NYP before boarding NJT.

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:45 AM

You don't need any ticket for AirTrain. You will encounter faregates at the rail transfer station after you get off AirTrain. Show the .pdf to the agent at the faregate closest to him or her and they should let you through as they do for Amtrak passengers who show their e-tickets. You should however purchase said ticket to include travel from the airport to your destination, since there is a required surcharge built into your train fare. Leaving New York, yes have the picture of the ticket ready to show as the train starts rolling.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

I downloaded this app and am intending to use it for my NJT trips.  IIRC when I board the airtrain at Newark airport to go to the NJT newark airport station with the ultimate destination of NYP, I must buy a ticket before boarding the airtran so I can show it to get on the airtran.  I am assuming that I just show my phone to the agent and we will be allowed through the gate. 

IIRC this does not work in the tunnel, so I should have the app opened in NYP before boarding NJT.

I'm assuming you are using NJ Transit from EWR Airport to NYP using the MyTix app. If so, purchase your NJT ticket from Newark Airport to New York Penn using the app anytime. When you are ready to head from the airport to NYP, activate your ticket. At the EWR Airport rail station (end of then monorail ride), scan the activated ticket barcode on your phone at the faregate to pass through to the rail station. The phone app barcode will release the gate.

The following decidedly amateur video shows the process at Secaucus (same gates as the EWR rail station). Head to the 2:00 mark. You pull up your activated ticket. Tap the QR code to enlarge it. Then hold it on the scanner at the faregate to release the gate.

Video

#4 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

Thanks bill.

#5 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Another question about using the app. Is it possible to buy tickets for 2 pax?

#6 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

Another question about using the app. Is it possible to buy tickets for 2 pax?

Yes. Buy two tickets on the app.  Then, if two are traveling together, activate both tickets.  Your screen will show two passengers.

#7 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

Thank you.

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

Is there an app for the lirr and metro north?

#9 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:25 AM

Not for ticketing; just an app for schedules.

Metro North did test an app for a bit, but so far they haven't rolled anything out for all to use.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#10 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5361 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:50 AM

Metro North has indicated their app ticketing will go live within six months.

Paper tickets are soooo 20th century!   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users