#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82705 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 14 July 2019 - 08:12 PM

Use this thread to detail your travels going to the Fest, whether beginning in New York City or joining the group later on.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82705 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 July 2019 - 02:40 PM

My plan was to leave my car in Cherry Hill, NJ, take NJ TRANSIT into Philly, and then make my way up to New York City to meet the group.  That has always been my customary routine given the free parking there.   NJ TRANSIT is known to be having problems operating its trains due to equipment breakdowns and lack of staff to run them.   So it was lucky that my train was still running, although automated announcements said it was 11 minutes, and then 15 minutes late. That perceived luck ran out really fast. 

After I boarded, the train sat there for a few minutes, while the crew said they were correcting a mechanical problem.  Finally we moved west and got to the next stop, Pennsauken.  Again we did not leave right away; in fact we never left. The mechanical issue, whatever it was, was so serious that the train was eventually cancelled. Passengers were left to their own devices to get where they were going. With the combination of RiverLINE, PATCO, and a SEPTA train through the Center City tunnel too time consuming, the only other option was to dust off my Uber app and make my way directly to 30th Street Station. I shared with another passenger doing the same thing, and got to experience the Philly area during its morning rush hour.  

In the meantime I had missed my intended Northeast Regional train to New York.  The Amtrak app, because I had a through ticket to Utica on Empire Service, would not allow me to change my reservation, so I had to take time to do it at 30th Street Station.  The next and quickest ride for me to get to New York was an  Acela, so that's what I did, the extra up-charge notwithstanding.  So the day cost me the expected NJT fare for a trip that wasn't completed, the Uber ride, and the extra fare to upgrade on Amtrak.   I still got to New York before Noon, enough time to have a quick bite in the station and then board the Empire Service train with the group.

Drama & excitement, what would a Fest trip be without that?

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 bratkinson

bratkinson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:47 PM

After reading Kevins' travails, I guess what I went through is childs' play.  It shows that he has great 'on the fly change of plans' skills.  I've had a number of those in the past 40 years or so of train riding too, including yesterday.

Living in south suburban Springfield MA, I use the Windsor Locks station in Connecticut as it's free parking vs $10/day a block from the Amtrak station in Springfield.  It should be noted that about a year and a half after the refurbished 90-ish? year old Springfield station opened, Amtrak FINALLY moved their ticket counter there about a month ago!  Although I usually take train #141 at 6:15AM, there was no need to get to NYP at 9:30 for the 1:20 train to Utica, so I opted for the 7:24 shuttle to NHV and #95 to NYP.  #95 was standing room only after New Haven!  Fortunately, I managed to find a seat in business class before a couple of young folks ended up sitting on the floor in BC wheelchair/luggage area.  Walking through the next two cars to the cafe car about 10 minutes after I boarded revealed that every seat was filled, and a couple of people standing or sitting on the floor in other cars as well.

OK, what to do with 3 hours between trains in NYP?  Ride the LIRR, of course!  Having read of NJT cancelled trains, etc, over the past year or so, NJT wasn't an option for an impromptu trip.  I had checked LIRR schedules online after we left Stamford and decided a round trip to Port Washington would be a perfect fit with 15-20 minutes time to make it after getting to NYP.  It would get me back about 12:30 leaving 50 minutes until train time to Utica.  So I bought a ticket (I forgot my password on the LIRR ticket App on my phone!) and off I went.  We left NYP about a minute late per my watch, and after moving under the East River for 5-6 minutes, we came to a stop and sat for 5 minutes.  Then there was an announcement that I couldn't understand with my lousy hearing and we started backwards all the way back to NYP, stopped for another minute or so, and then we were off.  In all, we lost about 20 minutes.  Given that at Port Washington, the return train is on a different platform than the one that just arrived and that I only had 4-5 minutes to switch trains there if we were on time, that plan went down the tubes.  So I bailed off at Douglaston to catch the 'as-planned' train from Port Washington getting me back to NYP about 12:30.  I met Kevin and Jishnu in the Club Acela.  Thankfully, my journey was must less traumatic than Kevins'.

#4 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:23 AM

I am getting a late start to meet up with the group.  I am on train 98 on my way to NYP.  We are running over 2 hours late now, mainly due to a disabled/derailed freight engine north of Savannah last night.  

I plan to take 281 tomorrow to Niagara Falls, NY and meet up with the group on 64 Friday when they cross into the US.

#5 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:46 PM

I am still on my way to the fest.  I took 281 to NFL today, arriving a bit late.  I am looking forward to meeting the group tomorrow.

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:30 PM

I "arrived" at the fest Friday morning when Kevin, Steve and Jishnu cleared customs in Niagara Falls, NY and entered the main waiting area where I was waiting. I boarded 64 with them and Kevin has already reported on that trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users