#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 25 November 2009 - 09:46 PM

On our itinerary for OTOL MNY RailFest 2010, I've added at the bottom of the Fest Itinerary an Alternate Sunday Itinerary which has us taking Amtrak back from Bridgeport, CT rather than Metro North. So far 3 of the 13 people currently on the participant list have voted to do this, and I suspect there could be more. The Sunday itinerary would be the same as far as Bridgeport the second time, and then Amtrak #163 to our various final destinations. I've assumed that those destinations will be New York, Metropark, and Philadelphia; they can easily be changed based on what the group decides to do.

Note that this gives us about 20 minutes layover in Bridgeport. It is probably enough time to purchase an Amtrak ticket, however keep in mind this is a Sunday and the train could be crowded or sold out. It would most likely be best to reserve your ticket online and pick it up while we're in Penn Station on Saturday, or do so from the Quik-Trak machine in Bridgeport. If enough are going this route, we can later discuss whether Coach Class or Business Class is the preferred option.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

While I haven't heard everyone's thoughts on this yet, it appears that we have the potential to tip the scales in favor of the Amtrak trip. If we do, it does not mean that anyone who wishes to return to New York via Metro North and GCT cannot still do so. In this electronic age we're all still together anyhow even if on different trains! :)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 LouP

LouP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

Kevin et al, I'll most likely take Connecticut Transit's J bus home from Waterbury as it passes only a block from my building. Taking the train back to Bridgeport and then another to New Haven would be foolish.

#4 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

For me the Amtrak option would be ideal, but I have the next day off and could spend that night with my family in NYC FWIW, the two lowest buckets are already sold out on 163 and the fare to PHL is $71 as compared to $38 (continued 25% off lowest bucket fare) on #135 two hours later. BRP-NYP is $36 on 163 (quite pricey for a short hop) or $19 on 135.

#5 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

You know what, then? I would say go ahead and book it, and I'll send out e-mail to everyone (many of whom don't regularly visit the board) when I get home. Sounds like it's going to be a crowded train, not a surprise for a Sunday afternoon on the NEC. As for Business vs Coach, we probably can't be fussy, and we aren't likely to get seats together anyhow. We can declare the Fest over in Bridgeport as our objectives will already have been met. So take what you can get and what you can afford.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#6 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:13 AM

OK, I am booked on 163 BRP-MET in BC. BTW, Are we doing dinner together on Saturday in the vicinity of Penn Station perhaps? Jishnu.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:24 PM

BTW, Are we doing dinner together on Saturday in the vicinity of Penn Station perhaps?

Perhaps. We're looking for a suitable place where we can both pay separately and not have to mortgage our homes to pay for the meal. ;)

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

Mike and I booked in bc on 163

#9 nashscan

nashscan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Scanning, Amateur Radio, and more.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

Business class here too... Preston
Preston from Nashville

Nashville needs Amtrak!

#10 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

No justifiable reason for me to be in BC when I don't earn any more AGR points. So I'll be in coach.

And I just realized that I forgot to "flip" the itinerary to reflect us taking Amtrak rather than MNRR back to New York and other points, so that has been done now.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users