Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

Chicago, IL Tribune, 8/23/16:

Pedestrian struck by Amtrak train near West Hinsdale station

A pedestrian was struck and killed by an Amtrak train about 2:30 p.m. Tuesdaynear the West Hinsdale station, which is just east of the Route 83 overpass.

Story

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

Originally thought this was the westbound California Zephyr, but this item  in Chicago, IL Sun-Times confirms it was the eastbound Southwest Chief.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 10:33 PM

I used to play basketball in a park near that crossing. I grew up 10 minutes from there.

When I attended middle school which was located in down town hinsdale which was located directly south of the station I was given a detention for refusing to trespass. A freight stopped on the middle track blocking the crossing. Several of my friends crawled underneath the freight and made it to school on time. I didn't knowing the freight could move at anytime. There was also the risk of an eastbound commuter train on the southern most track.

When I arrived to school ten minutes late none of the administrators believed me when I told them my reason for being late. My friends who crawled underneath the train and arrived on time were "used as evidence" to prove I had been playing on the way to school. This was one of the first times I realized just how stupid adults could be.

Edited by steve4031, 23 August 2016 - 11:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users