Photo

High Speed rail for Dallas - Fort Worth?

1 reply to this topic

#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82690 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:54 PM

This is the first I've heard of high speed rail that would run solely within the DFW Metroplex. This is apart from other plans for Dallas-Houston and Dallas-Shreveport. From CBS Dallas/Fort Worth, 5/4/16:

The DFW High-Speed Rail Commission plans on connecting downtown Dallas and downtown Fort Worth by establishing a high-speed rail service.

My opinion of this story is that it seems too short a distance for high speed rail to really be effective. Sure it will be faster than Trinity Railway Express and Amtrak between the two cities, but it will be akin to a horizontal elevator ride. For the cost of building this, I don't know if the market between the two cities would make it worthwhile. It seems, too, that Arlington -- transit starved Arlington -- has a stake in this. However being that the only intermediate station would be in the vicinity of the two stadiums in the city, I don't see much ridership for what they would have to charge, short of when the Cowboys and Rangers play... and even then somebody spending a fortune on a sporting event may not also want to spend so much on travel to and from the venues.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 CNJRoss

CNJRoss

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 43591 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:37 AM

Star Telegram, Fort Worth, TX 6/20:

Dallas-Fort Worth high-speed rail plan draws worldwide interest

Highlights

-Officials from railroads in France, China, attend forum

-Bullet trains would connect Dallas, Arlington, Fort Worth

-Proposals to build system due Aug. 31

ARLINGTON - High-speed rail is a touchy subject in much of Texas, where some politicians and landowners are concerned about train tracks cutting across private property.

But local leaders in Dallas-Fort Worth, where traffic congestion is a near-universal concern among many of the region’s roughly 7 million residents, want the world’s biggest passenger rail operators to know that if they’re willing to build the super-fast trains in North Texas they will find a more-than-receptive audience.

Continue here.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users