#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

Use this thread to discuss your travels home from the WARF 2015 event, and any post-Fest rail travels.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:42 AM

Mike, Kim and I had a good ride on 2216. Had a mini-adventure boarding with the redcap from CA. We left a suitcase. Fortunately with pre-board 40 minutes before departure there was plenty of time to go back and get it.

The crew in FC was very pleasant. Got 3 Pepsis and could have had 2 more. Cold bites were ok. Other choices not interesting. Redcap assistance in nyp very good. Received assistance to 31st and 8th ave exit. 1 minute wait for Uber in the rain. 20 dollar ride to marriott download by wtc.

#3 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Once again an Uber ride back to NYP. I enjoyed saying "take us to the entrance at 31st and 8th." Felt like a native New Yorker. CA was crowded with seat hogging occurring. One guy was occupying 2seats out of 4 with his feet on the seat across from him. We asked to sit there and he said, "there are seats over there." I told him told him those seats have luggage by them. I said "get your feet off the seat and let us sit there." He got up to go hide in the conference room which was adjacent to those seats. It was locked and he made the attendant open it so he could hide in there after getting punked by me. The lounge emptied after the star was called 15 minutes later. V

#4 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

Penny, Dick and I went for lunch at a deli on "I" Street in Washington, accessed from the Farragut North station going there and the Farragut West on the way back. Now at Union Station finally actually waiting to board a train to leave town. Practically lived in this sauna the past 3 days. I'll be on Acela 2256 leaving 3 PM. And the above 2 Floridians are scheduled to leave 5 minutes later.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#5 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:36 PM

After I left you guys at Union Station, I went on a points run to BWI, where I saw the Star and the Meteor go by, and then came back to WAS, picked up my bag from the hotem and headed off to the airport. I made all connections within 5 mmins each. Settled down in United Club aftrer grabbing some dinner at around 7:45. Flight left on time and arived 25 mins early. So i was home by 1am.

#6 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

Dick and I (the aforementioned 2 Floridians) are on 91 south of Lorton. We passed Auto Train and it looked like it was ready to go.
So far, this is a nice ride.

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

Nice speedy trip up the Corridor on Acela 2256 -- got into Metropark a few minutes early.  Then although it was a holiday I had to deal with rush hour traffic conditions, but I still got home in about an hour, opting to eat dinner at home.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:36 PM

2250 ran ontime all the way to Boston. The redcap positioned us perfectly and I was first on to get seats. The four seater on the right side was full. So I snagged two facing singles for Kim and mike and a forward facing single for mysel all on right side. The crew was ok, not great. I enjoyed the ride immensely by looking out the window the whole way and listening to music. FC was sold out. So we did well to get those seats and upgrades.

We took Uber to Logan where mike and Kim went to B for their United flight to Cleveland. I continued to E for my southwest connection to stl and then mdw. I'm in stl and last flight of the day is delayed but very light. Should be an easy flt.

#9 nashscan

nashscan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Scanning, Amateur Radio, and more.

Posted 20 January 2015 - 12:38 AM

I had plenty of time today during my departure from DC.  But I did forget since I was checking out of my hostel, I had to be gone by 1100.  The maid reminded me of that, and I apologized and took a quick shower and got out of her way.  I took the Metro from McPherson to the airport and patiently awaited my flight.  Turns out, there were some computer issues and they asked for volunteers to be bumped.  I happened to be right by the gate agent while she was asking and was the first one to pipe up.  The reward was half the airfare refunded, plus $300 in travel funds.  There was quickly a line of 10 people behind me!   The agent told me just to board the plane as normal and they would pull me off if they needed me.  So I boarded the plane when it was time and got settled in, then I heard my name!  I got off the plane, and my replacement flight was delayed, but they got me on an earlier flight to Chicago that was also delayed but I connected to Nashville and arrived without incident.  My little bag was waiting for me.  All in all, it was a fun day, and the employees at Southwest made it fun.  Now I have a voucher to use whenever I want this year.  

Preston from Nashville

Nashville needs Amtrak!

#10 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

Had a nice ride in Acela first on the way home we were on time the whole way. A nice way to round out a very fun weekend. Thanks again to Alan for the upgrade coupon.  And thank you Kevin for putting together a great fest. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users