KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:56 AM

From Everett, WA Herald, 7/24/08:

A massive package of transit projects that aims to bring light rail to Lynnwood by 2023 is likely to make it to the November ballot, a Sound Transit board member from Edmonds said Wednesday.

Look here for this story.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:30 PM

Good News, but I have mixed feelings about it's chances of passing. The opponents have launched a pre-emptive ad campaign against it. On the plus side, the success of SOUNDER-South might help, plus the fact that LINK Light Rail will be starting next year. I had a hard time on a local forum talking to a gloater over the defeat of Roads and Transit. He was celebrating what he thought was the death of Sound Transit, and not even hearing me on the fact that LINK's first stage was under construction. Said that for $18 Billion we could buy 180,000 buses, and then when asked where were they going to be parked, he said that money could buy a lot of parking lots. Then the labor, maintenance, fuel, and tire costs got him and he gave up arguing with me. Maybe that is why KING 5 pulled the plug on the forum? Actually, it was the same guy's abusive language even getting the best of the voices of reason on the forum over the primaries, including me, got me to lose my temper on-line, which rarely happens.

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

From Everett, WA Herald, 8/2/08:

Light rail key to Lynnwood's big dreams

Bringing light rail to Lynnwood could speed up the city's plan to create a new downtown filled with skyscrapers west of I-5.

This one's here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

It might help Community Transit finally decommission a pair of Commuter Bus Routes that probably take up a lot of their resources(despite the fare being around $3.00), and put those resources into better local service, and their SWIFT Bus Rapid Transit Network. Community Transit's Double Tall, on the route this rare for North American Transit bus is demonstrated on, it is often on 401 and 402. Lynwood Paark and Ride/Transit Center to Downtown Seattle.

http://www.commtrans.../DoubleTall.cfm

Although with Lywnood. more than one station should be planned, so LINK can do two things, commuter and local transit. Might focus growth around the station.

#5 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:25 PM

Something un-related to Light Rail in Lynwood, or possibly could be. Also on the Nov. 4th ballot in areas of Snohomish County is a proposed annexation for the local bus operator, Community Transit. THey plan to annex a small area east of Bothell, the Cathcart/Maltby/Clearview area. 10 years ago, CT tried to annex this area, when gasoline prices were under $1 per gallon, the sales and use tax at CT was only 6 tenths of 1 cent, and they had another revenue source that was more stable, the Motor Vehicle Excise Tax, annexation failed 53 to 47%. The MVET is gone, CT got voter approval for hiking the sales tax to 9 tenths of 1 percent(KCM was more conservative, only went up to 8th, and they were later at increasing it, because the 6 tenths was the state cap, they had to wait for the then formality of the legislature increasing it. The House was tied 49-49, State Senate control is so tight of an issue, it flips with the elections at times. Rural systems were lower, they went to the voters as early as the first election in 2000, the Presidential Primary) This annexation can help or hurt the ST Proposal. It can hurt it with the Everett Herald possibly running an article against the Sales Tax Hike in this are of eastern Snohomish County. It can help, as this area could possibly see hours freed up Routes 401/402 to provide local service.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

As part of the Sound Transit 2 plan approved by voters in 2008, Sound Transit is starting the formal planning process for mass transit between Northgate and Lynnwood. Your input will help the agency identify the best way to serve this corridor.

More on Sound Transit's website here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts
  • Interests:Light Rail & Commuter Rail<br>Passenger Rail Stations

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:36 AM

http://heraldnet.com...EWS01/710139859

#8 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

Progressive Railroading, 10/12/11:

This week, Sound Transit officials plan to begin the next phase of planning for extending and improving light-rail and mass transit options from Northgate to Lynnwood, Wash., as approved by voters as part of the Sound Transit 2 (ST2) expansion plan.

More here.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#9 Sloan

Sloan

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 12851 posts
  • Interests:Light Rail & Commuter Rail<br>Passenger Rail Stations

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

http://www.heraldnet.../712089841/1004

#10 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

While they got good reasons for the I-5 route, my reason for why I preferred SR99 instead was out of historical reasons. Highway 99, back when it was US Highway 99, put the old Interurbans around here out of business. Also, I have waited for a bus at a freeway station around here, and the road noise can be deafening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users