#21 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

I have no issue with a 10-day advance policy; could be they just want to make sure they don't have any other groups and will have enough food to handle a large group.  As long as they don't require a deposit, I see no harm in making a reservation, which could always be cancelled if in the interim we decide to go elsewhere.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#22 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

Steve, my mom & I would be fine at any of the 3 choices.

That said, both for price points and menu choices (or lack thereof), I think that Deschutes should be the choice of last resort. I would probably give a slight advantage to the Yard House, but Henry's is a very strong second.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#23 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

I have a "train friend" who lives in the Portland area and asked her opinion about the 3 restaurants under consideration.

Below is what she had to say:

I am not a big fan of the Yardhouse (it's part of a chain), although it is downtown and in a great area to walk around and explore Portland.  The bar is very dark and kind of in a "basement-like" setting.  Henry's is okay (hit or miss service and again.....another chain, although smaller).  Deschutes is wonderful and has really good NW craft beer.  May I also suggest, Bridgeport brewpubRogue Distillery and Ale House or the brand new 10 Barrel Brewing with the roof top bar!  All these places are in downtown and on the street car or MAX route.  Portland is an easy city to get around in!

I did a quick check on the three other "restaurants/brewpubs" that she recommended.  It looks like Bridgeport Brewpub is about 2 1/2 blocks west of street car stop and 10 Barrel Brewing appears to be about 3 1/2 blocks away from the street car.  Bridgeport and 10 Barrel have pub menus, but I did not see one for Rogue.  I think the food options are better for the 3 restaurants we originally considered.  If we decide to ride the streetcar on Thursday evening, then either Henry's or Deschutes may be the closest to the street car stops.  Henry's may offer the largest food menu variety.

#24 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

One item of interest that I discovered last night is that it appears most will be staying at the Embassy Suites downtown (at least those who told me prematurely). While it is close to both the north-south and east-west MAX light rail lines, it is roughly 7 or 8 blocks from the Streetcar. Since Henry's & Deschutes are in turn about a block west from the nearest Streetcar station and thus further from MAX, the most prudent means for you to travel between that hotel and those restaurants is by foot. Those staying east of the river who would need to take transit, the best bet would be the A or B Streetcar loops.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#25 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

When I responded to my friend that most in our group are more interested in food than beer, she responded as follows:

Just a few restaurants to add to the list for the Foodies in the group.  These are some of my PDX favorites:

Serrato (NW 21st) and close to Street Car Loop.  "Modern" Italian with a great wine list and a nice Happy Hour!

Andina (NW Glisan/Downtown). Peruvian tapas.  Outstanding cocktails!

Jake's Famous Crawfish (there are two Jake's in town and I prefer this one).  NW Seafood.

Mother's Bistro and Bar.  Northwest Comfort food

Nel Centro (located in the Hotel Modera).  Great Happy Hour!  They have a really nice and large patio which is great for a large gathering.

Steve, please let me know if you want to pursue any of these restaurants (for price, location and menu).  I will eliminate the Peruvian tapas restaurant since I do not think the menu will be acceptable to all.

#26 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:29 PM

NW 21st is close to the NS loop, the original north-south streetcar line on the top of its map where it runs on Northrup and Lovejoy Streets.  It would be about a block walk south of Lovejoy at 21st.   Convenient to the streetcar, but not the loop we haven't ridden so it would involve more time.

Jakes is a subsidiary of McCormick & Schmick's , a well known seafood chain

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#27 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:10 PM

Penny, I will check on reservation and separate check policy. Some of these places may eliminate themselves if they don't do separate checks or take reservations.

Kevin, do I have the capability/permission to set up polls?

#28 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82319 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:26 PM

You should be able to, however I don't do them too often since we rarely get timely and 100% compliance.   If you can't, then tomorrow I can help you set it up.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#29 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

This applies to me and mike and Kim as well. We are over by the convention center too. The day passes are not bad and a moonlight ride could hapen.

I am planning to get a day pass on Thursday anyway, so I am OK with requiring an additional ride or two on Thursday. Then again I am currently booked into party central Embassy Suites AFAIR. Just for the heck of it I might ride MAX and Streetcar even though something is just 8 blocks walk away. Afterall riding rails is the reason. :)

BTW, while I would love to go to Jake's beware that it is a McCormickck and Schmicks place and is somewhat pricey and may not exactly be in the budget range for many participants. Mother's Bistro may be more in the price range.

Edited by jis, 01 June 2016 - 11:10 AM.

#30 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 01:11 PM

Jake's is a couple of blocks from streetcar.  

Here is a link to "today's" menu  http://menus.mccormi...JKCR-Dinner.pdf

Although I love seafood and am willing to pay a premium for good seafood, not everyone in the group eats seafood.

Here is a link to yelp reviews: http://www.yelp.com/...awfish-portland

As Jis mentioned, Mother's Bistro is more affordable.  It appears to be closer to MAX (1 1/2 blocks from MAX Oak/SW 1st Ave) transit than streetcar stops and .2 miles walking distance from Embassy Suites.

Dinner is served beginning at 5:30pm.  Here is a link to the dinner menu:  http://www.mothersbi...m/menus/dinner/

Here is a link to yelp reviews: http://www.yelp.com/...nd-bar-portland

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users