• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#11 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

As for Austin's, I didn't check yet as to the frequency of LIRR trains that stop at Kew Gardens (most bypass it). Not sure if it would be a comfortable walk to & from the Queens Blvd. subways, but Alan can answer that.

DeStephano's is on the pricey side.

Do you have a preference? Hunters in Brooklyn is right next to the subway.

#12 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 07:43 PM

As for Austin's, I didn't check yet as to the frequency of LIRR trains that stop at Kew Gardens (most bypass it). Not sure if it would be a comfortable walk to & from the Queens Blvd. subways, but Alan can answer that.

It would be about a 6 block walk from Queens Blvd, or a short bus ride. As for comfortable walking, the area is safe and there are no big hills that I recall, but if it's 10 degrees and windy that could certainly make it uncomfortable.
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#13 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:11 PM

In looking at the diner reviews, Tick Tock is the place to avoid. The skyline diner has the best reviews on yelp.

#14 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

It would be about a 6 block walk from Queens Blvd, or a short bus ride. As for comfortable walking, the area is safe and there are no big hills that I recall, but if it's 10 degrees and windy that could certainly make it uncomfortable.

There is also an LIRR train about every half hour from NYP to Kew Gardens (x+10 and x+40) and Kew Gardens and NYP (x+26 and x+51) and the run is 18 mins - weekend city fares applicable.

#15 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

What does everyone think about the skyline diner for Saturday night?

#16 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

If you meant to say Skylight Diner, that would be fine. The only two Skyline Diners that I can find in the vicinity of New York are in New Hyde Park LI and Elizabeth NJ :) and would possibly be difficult to get to, though not impossible.

#17 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:15 AM

If you meant to say Skylight Diner, that would be fine. The only two Skyline Diners that I can find in the vicinity of New York are in New Hyde Park LI and Elizabeth NJ :) and would possibly be difficult to get to, though not impossible.

I did mean skylight. Guess I was thinking about budd cars

#18 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:26 AM

Austin's Steakhouse, I can personally attest to. That was just a couple blocks from my NY "home" back when I was based there in Kew Gardens. We must remember that Kew Gardens station has limited LIRR trains to and from. But the Union Turnpike E/F station is not a far walk either. But it is a good place to eat.

#19 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

I'd be good with the Skylight.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#20 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:36 PM

Austin's Steakhouse, I can personally attest to. That was just a couple blocks from my NY "home" back when I was based there in Kew Gardens. We must remember that Kew Gardens station has limited LIRR trains to and from. But the Union Turnpike E/F station is not a far walk either. But it is a good place to eat.

There is a train every half hour between NYP and Kew Gardens on weekends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users