• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

#11 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:29 AM

The more I think about it a Charlottesville day trip on 51/50 is more enticing if the delays are not significant. This gives us a chance to ride two different routes rather than focusing on the Richmond Washington, D.C. Route

#12 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:16 PM

I like the idea of CVS overnight. Don't really like the long days of the Tidewater routes.

#13 nashscan

nashscan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Trains, Planes, Scanning, Amateur Radio, and more.

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:31 AM

I'm still waiting to see if I can get the time off from work.  If I am able to go, I'd prefer day trips out of DC, so I can base there in a hostel.  

Preston from Nashville

Nashville needs Amtrak!

#14 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82616 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 26 November 2016 - 03:19 PM

So far, this is where we appear to stand.

I correctly assumed that Plans G & H (overnight Tidewater) would be unpopular, so those remain eliminated from contention.
Furthermore, Plan B (any variations for a daytime trip to the Tidewater area) provides for a very long day on the rails and darkness over the entire return trip. So that can be discarded too.

Plan D, a Sunday daytime trip to Manassas and back on 51 & 156, also seems unpopular and perhaps too short a day of rail activity.

What remains are the daytime options for Richmond and Charlottesville (Plans A & C respectively), and the overnight options for Richmond and Charlottesville (Plans E & F). Now to be able to put things together for a Fest, looking at timetables the mixing of daytime and overnight options becomes impossible. Returning from a daytime trip we would miss a train headed towards an overnight destination, and certainly the converse is true as well. So that means either two overnight options (E & F) or two daytime options (A & C) to make this work.

With that in mind, I know that Option C, daytime to Charlottesville could be an adventure. With modern technology at hand we can watch the performance of both Cardinals and if things look like they won't work, or 50 is severely late, we could either revert to Plan D (Manassas), or have another activity in mind (maybe Baltimore, or a Washington Metro ride on a line not affected by work surges). From what I have seen of 50 and 51, a late 51 into Charlottesville seems to delay 50 by about the same amount since 50 usually waits for 51 somewhere between there and Staunton.

Doing the two overnight options, I see about a 3- to 4-hour layover in Washington, DC, during which we could have lunch as well as ride the DC Streetcar. Doing the daytime options, a Richmond round trip probably starts too early and gets back too late in the day, but with the 11 AM start of a Charlottesville trip there is time in the morning. A full round trip on DC Streetcar takes approximately one hour, plus the time needed to walk between Union Station itself and the streetcar stop via the parking garage/bus terminal.

What may ultimately decide this lies in the prices and availabilities of hotels in downtown Richmond and Charlottesville. Check out your favorite hotels and the best rates you can get from them. I believe that my listings for Richmond and Charlottesville are up to date.  Washington, DC seems to have a lot more availability and affordability.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#15 pennyk

pennyk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 04:49 PM

I generally stay at Hilton properties (because of status) and the rates at my preference in DC (HGI US Capitol) is much less expensive on Friday night and Saturday than hotels in CVS and much much less expensive than hotels in Richmond (one of which is sold out). 

On Sunday night, the Hampton Inn in CVS is slightly less than the HGI US Capitol, however the hotels in Richmond are more money.

For me, economically, based on hotel prices, I would rather be based in DC and do day trips.

#16 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:42 PM

On Sunday night, the Hampton Inn in CVS is slightly less than the HGI US Capitol, however the hotels in Richmond are more money.

The thought of staying in a drug store is not that appealing.  :)

#17 steve4031

steve4031

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1514 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 03:38 AM

I would prefer two day trips.

#18 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:17 PM

My mom & I would also prefer two day trips.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#19 Long Train Runnin'

Long Train Runnin'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:56 AM

I would lean toward a couple day trips as well. 

#20 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

My preference would be any day trips on Saturday and Sunday. This allows me to fly out to Washington Friday evening and fly back Monday thus avoid taking any days off.

For the same reason if we choose two overnight trips, I will participate in only the one that is over the Saturday night. There is no way for me to get to Washington DC early enough on Friday without taking the day off, to join an overnight trip that leaves Washington on Friday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users