KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert 10/25 5:35a

Dallas Streetcar passengers will experience delays for the duration of the day due to only 1 streetcar being in service. Thank you for your patience and apologies for the inconvenience.

Dallas Streetcar Update 10/25 12:30p

The Dallas Streetcar is resuming normal service with two cars operating. Thank you for your patience.

Edited by KevinKorell, 25 October 2016 - 12:33 PM.
Added 2nd alert

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#42 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

How about mechanical issues affecting both streetcars?  By using the word "both" they confirm for us that there are only 2, not 4 working cars on the property.

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert, 10/26 7:10p

Both Dallas Streetcars are not operating due to a mechanical issue. Bus shuttles will be available. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert: 10/26 7:40p

The Dallas Streetcar is resuming normal service with two cars operating.. Thank you for your patience.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#43 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert 10/27 11:45a

Dallas Streetcar passengers should expect delays due to only 1 streetcar being in service. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Dallas Streetcar Update 10/27 3:15p

The Dallas Streetcar is resuming normal service with two cars operating.. Thank you for your patience.

Dallas Streetcar Update 10/27 4:55p

Dallas Streetcar passengers should expect delays due to only 1 streetcar being in service. We appreciate your patience.

Dallas Streetcar Update 10/27 5:50p

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert, 10/27 7:10p

Dallas Streetcar passengers should expect delays due to only one streetcar being in service. We appreciate your patience.

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert, 10/27 9:30p

The Dallas Streetcar is resuming normal operations, with two cars in service. Thank you for your patience.

Edited by KevinKorell, 28 October 2016 - 12:40 AM.
Added 2 more updates!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#44 lunarwhite

lunarwhite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:21 PM

How about mechanical issues affecting both streetcars?  By using the word "both" they confirm for us that there are only 2, not 4 working cars on the property.

Actually, all four cars from Brookville are on DART property and have been used in service at various times. DART only brings two cars at a time to the ROUTE. The other two stay at the DART yard in east Dallas where they are maintained in a building separate from the LRVs.

When the suspension notices are posted, the word 'both' refers to the two on the ROUTE. The schedule requires two cars to cover all trips. They did build enough track south of the Bishop Arts platform to park a third car during the service day but depending on where a car fails it could be difficult to put the extra car in service and park the failed car.

BTW, starting on Monday, October 24 the service began operating from 5:30 am to midnight seven days a week. This means it covers all three shift changes at Methodist Hospital, the largest employer on the line and the reason the FTA grant was made. It remains to be seen if the service can be maintained with the four cars DART has available.

Edited by lunarwhite, 28 October 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#45 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:45 AM

Thank you Lunarwhite for clarifying.  The reason for this exercise is to demonstrate the frequency of such alerts.  Other rail properties have breakdowns from time to time, as does the DART light rail lines. But this relatively new streetcar system has had very few days in between, both before and after the Bishop Arts extension went into service, that have had no delays reported.  And most of it seems to be operational difficulties with one of the vehicles. I can understand that if one breaks down and it's in a bad place, it would block the remaining operable streetcar from completing its route if it can't be switched to the other track, where 2 tracks exist.  It is good that they keep a third car on a pocket track at one end of the line; this should allow them to phase the new car into the operation if one has to come out of service. It just seems to me that the rate of breakdowns is alarmingly high.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#46 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

Dallas Streetcar Alert 10/28 11:30a

Dallas Streetcar passengers should expect delays due to only 1 streetcar being in service. We appreciate your patience.

Dallas Streetcar Alert 10/28 12:05p

The Dallas Streetcar is resuming normal operations, with two cars in service. Thank you for your patience.

Dallas Streetcar Update 10/28 3:15p

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert, 10/28 4:16p

The Dallas Streetcar is not operating due to a mechanical issue. Bus shuttles will be available from Union to Bishop Arts. Thank you for your patience.

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert, 10/28 4:35p

The Dallas Streetcar is back in service, with one streetcar operating. Passengers should prepare for delays. Thank you for your patience.

Edited by KevinKorell, 29 October 2016 - 12:17 AM.
Added a few more for this date!!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#47 lunarwhite

lunarwhite

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 09:50 PM

Thank you Lunarwhite for clarifying.  The reason for this exercise is to demonstrate the frequency of such alerts.  Other rail properties have breakdowns from time to time, as does the DART light rail lines. But this relatively new streetcar system has had very few days in between, both before and after the Bishop Arts extension went into service, that have had no delays reported.  And most of it seems to be operational difficulties with one of the vehicles. I can understand that if one breaks down and it's in a bad place, it would block the remaining operable streetcar from completing its route if it can't be switched to the other track, where 2 tracks exist.  It is good that they keep a third car on a pocket track at one end of the line; this should allow them to phase the new car into the operation if one has to come out of service. It just seems to me that the rate of breakdowns is alarmingly high.

I thank you for posting these suspensions. I assume you are getting them from DART rider alerts. I have not bothered to subscribe to them.

I agree that the many suspensions are worrisome, especially since these cars have been ordered by Detroit, Milwaukee, and Oklahoma City. I hope the problems can be fixed soon.

#48 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 10:23 PM

Yes somewhere along the line I subscribed to get e-mails from DART, which I get not only for the streetcars but also TRE, M-Line ( the McKinney heritage trolley) and DART light rail.  I don't post everything, but began when I observed the regularity of streetcar issues.

You are correct that if other cities are getting the same vehicles, they should be concerned.  I hope they are watching!

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#49 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:23 AM

A clean weekend went by, but a fitting end to a rough month............

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert, 10/31 5:50p

The Dallas Streetcar is not operating between Union and Greenbriar. Passengers will need to use bus shuttles. Thank you for your patience.

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert, 10/31 6:05p

One streetcar is in operation. Passengers should prepare for delays.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#50 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 11:11 AM

New month, same old.......

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert 11/1 11:00a

Streetcar passengers will be delayed due to only 1 streetcar running. Passengers will also need to board shuttle buses between Union and Oakenwald stations due to mechanical problems. Our apologies and thank you for your patience.

Dallas Streetcar Update 11/01 12:55p

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert, 11/01 6:25p

The Dallas Streetcar is not operating due to a mechanical issue. Bus shuttles will be available between Union and Oakenwald. Thank you for your patience.

Dallas Streetcar Rider Alert, 11/01 7:05p

The Dallas Streetcar is resuming normal operations with two cars in service. Thank you for your patience.

Edited by KevinKorell, 02 November 2016 - 10:06 AM.
added update

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users