#61 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

In the last 2 weeks that I was trackin it was 90 minutes late into Pittsburg only one time. And that's when it left Chicago 2 hours late.

Very re-assuring, from the same guy who said they would fix the Cardinal bridge before our trip. :rolleyes:

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#62 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

I am leaning toward the "Sunday through Thursday" as referencing the days of departure from Chicago. That would mean work windows in Maryland Monday through Friday, which makes sense. It would also mean the Saturday post-Fest departure would not be affected. But, I don't know that for sure

See they really should have worded this better to take into consideration that the train operates overnight, so a trip starting on Saturday from Chicago would be in the affected area on Sunday. Notice that the alert mentions people whose trips originate at stops east of Pittsburgh, who clearly would be concerned about the train's second day of operation, not its first. So I don't know for sure, and I guess we find out the hard way when we get a 6 AM wakeup call in Pittsburgh.... assuming we're late

Those watching train performance statistics might also check how the western eastbound connecting trains are doing. If we get held for a late arrival, then all bets are off with our timekeeping. If this is indeed one of the affected days then we're already in trouble out of the gate.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#63 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

Good news and bad news: The good news: For trains involved with the work window, the departure of #30 from Chicago will be at 6:10pm sharp. Because of the consequences of missing the window, the train will not be held for late arriving trains from the west, or so it is said. The bad news: It appears the "Sunday to Thursday" work period is the actual CSX work days in Maryland. The Saturday through Wednesday evening departures of #30 from Chicago are said to be the affected trains. This comes from a poster at Trainorders who is involved with CSX. The primary CSX work involves expanding clearance in a tunnel.

#64 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

So our choices are:
  • Long layover in Pittsburgh to take #44 eastward.
  • Long bus ride on I-70 & then I-270 from Pittsburgh, PA to Washington, DC
  • Stop eating now and during the Fest to ensure the train is light enough to make it to Pittsburgh on time. We have a lot of nice meals coming up, but if I see anyone overeating you're banned from the Capitol Limited. :)
When I get a chance and find a way, I'll move this discussion to the Fest forum.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#65 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:41 PM

Now, now! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. There is still a four in five chance that we will make it through all the way to WAS on rails :)

#66 BillMagee

BillMagee

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 5369 posts
  • Interests:Travel, Rail, Aviation, Sports

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:56 PM

Now, now! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. There is still a four in fice chance that we will make it through all the way to WAS on rails :)

Ah, HA! I see you're a "glass is 4/5 full" kind of guy! That makes me a "glass is 1/5 empty" kind of guy, plus I'm looking for who was drinking from my glass! :lol:

#67 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

The chart has been updated yet again. Train #30(23), which I tried to delete a couple of weeks ago when I figured nobody was riding it (and then it haunted us for a while), is back now, and with four of us aboard. Train #50(23) is no longer an issue, but because it is a unique train it's been "hidden" rather than deleted, to save me some work if we ever do get to ride it in the future.

Let the record show that I did the noble thing. Rather than rushing to rebook my trip when the Cardinal news became more definite yesterday, I waited until I had heard from the other three parties from our group riding that train. I know that a couple of you have to be back at work Monday morning the 25th, but I have the luxury of another week off. So had there been no more rooms available, I was willing to remain in Chicago one more day and go out on Sunday night.

I believe there were only 2 roomettes left when I made my call this morning, and I also ended up in the Transition Dorm. I'll also be in BC on Regional #132, ticketed to Philly.

Before this week, even though ticketed to Philadelphia, the plan was to go to Wilmington, stay in a hotel, and then return home on Monday. With the earlier arrival with 30-132 I could conceivably make it home Sunday night. However I may still "disappear" in WIL thus keeping my reservation there and also taking the Regional (already ticketed) in the morning to PHL and then NJT back to my car. Less stress on me, and no doubt I'll be on the Sunday chat from my hotel room munching on a Doubletree cookie.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#68 AlanB

AlanB

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 2166 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

And here I was worried about you having to redo the itinerary thanks to one of the cities throwing you a last minute curve ball (like often happens in NY) and instead it's Amtrak that throws the curve ball this year. :o And a very big one at that!
Alan,

Take care and take trains!

#69 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82603 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:47 PM

And here I was worried about you having to redo the itinerary thanks to one of the cities throwing you a last minute curve ball

It's not over until it's over. Last minute things can be found out the same day ---- as happened in Boston in 2002 with the "B" trolley line.

And yes always a pessimist.

I think the curve ball is courtesy of CSX, with Amtrak forced to follow --- and that's both cases with the Cardinal not running, and the eastbound Capitol potentially having issues. Interestingly since the Capitol must leave CHI on time, it's Norfolk Southern whose job it is to get us to Pittsburgh on time.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#70 MistyOLR

MistyOLR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, and while I probably half-expected it, Amtrak curve balled me on my return from CHI on the 24th. About twelve hours ago I got a voicemail from them saying that 305 had been canceled and that they automatically rebooked me on 21. Having taken the detour route in April, though, I'm tempted to take the 393/bus combo to get me home with similar timing... Though a stub that says CHI-STL for a coach seat on 21 is an intriguing concept considering I know better in the usual logic that Amtrak follows. I suppose I could debate it till Sunday and have change it before initial departure if seating is still an option for 393/bus... I'm also kinda partial to CHM for some reason, which is where I'd connect to the bus.

Technicalities suck and legal name changes are a mess after it happens.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users