#1 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts
  • Interests:Making America TRAIN again!

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:06 PM

Other than telling us that Airport Line service will be running this weekend since the weather won't allow maintenance to take place, SEPTA has not as of yet put anything on their website regarding plans for the snow storm. Philadelphia is expected to get 8-12 inches of snow, possibly more, so it would be wise to get some plan out there now before the snow hits.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#2 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:32 PM

I was thinking about this while on a SEPTA R2 train from Wilmington to 30th St as it started to skid on the slippery rail as the snow was just beginning to stick. Once the storm gets bad, how do they expect those old Silverliners to not break down at all? There finally is something up on the website and in the news.

http://www.septa.org...ce/weather.html

http://www.kyw1060.c...ve--Too/6296650

#3 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:23 AM

"Procactive" is the wrong word to use when the agency waited for the snow to fall before publicizing their plans.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#4 jacorbett70

jacorbett70

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

SEPTA ran service on some Regional Rail and trolley lines during the height of the storm, but now is shutting down for the rest of the day.

Regional Rail: Effective at 2:00pm all Regional Rail service is suspended until Sunday Morning.

Trolley Lines: Effective at 2:00pm all Trolley line service is suspended until Sunday Morning.

Bus: All BUS, LUCY and CCT service is suspended due to weather and street conditions.

CCT (paratransit) is not taking reservations for Sunday, Feb. 7.

Norristown High Speed Line: Service is currently suspended.

Market Frankford Line: Trains are operating on a Saturday schedule.

Broad Street Line: Trains are operating on a Saturday schedule.

http://www.septa.org/service/snow.html

#5 jis

jis

• Global Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 1753 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:44 PM

And all this while NJT is diligently trudging along running the RiverLINE, albeit with delays, between Trenton and Walter Rand.

Of course not to mention that NJT somehow are also managing to run the Atlantic City Line too.

And PATCO is running too on a special reduced schedule allegedly.

#6 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:23 PM

From Twitter: SEPTA is doing something sensible and running its subways all night, rather than the usual nighttime bustitution.

SEPTA MFL: SEPTA will extend service to operate all night. Trains will depart FTC and 69th Street Terminal every 20 minutes beginning at 1 AM.

SEPTA BSL: SEPTA will extend service to operate all night. Trains will depart Fern Rock and Pattison every 30 minutes beginning at 1 AM.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#7 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:50 PM

Sunday evening:

Regional Rail: These trains have been cancelled: 4225 from Suburban Station. at 5:34p, 4626 from Marcus Hook at 6:48p and 6633 from Elm St. at 8:39p.

Trolley Lines: Route 11 is providing service only to Island & Woodland Aves.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#8 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:55 AM

Running the Subways all night, I was wondering is that something done to keep the third-rail clear? I remember hearing the NYMTA doing that with Metro North during a heavy storm a few years ago. Last year, we had King County Metro grind to a halt at times, but looks like they got a good plan now. Unfortunately, they forgot to buy switch heaters for LINK but that was a wakeup call. I just hope SDOT, ST, and KC(King County)DOT are watching the coverage of the snow clearing efforts back east, and taking lessons. In case the snow comes back next year.

#9 KevinKorell

KevinKorell

Board Leader

• Sr. Admin
  • PipPip
  • 82315 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:12 AM

Running the Subways all night, I was wondering is that something done to keep the third-rail clear?

Yes, it not only keeps the third rail clear, but the tracks as well. The trains that are running act as their own plows. When you have snow falling at the rate of 1, 2, or even 3 inches an hour as was the case in the height of this past storm, it's going to take not only trains at night but trains with a high frequency to keep everything running smoothly.

Kevin Korell

OTOL Board Leader

Lakewood, NJ

#10 EvergreenRailfan

EvergreenRailfan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2870 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:26 AM

Yes, it not only keeps the third rail clear, but the tracks as well. The trains that are running act as their own plows. When you have snow falling at the rate of 1, 2, or even 3 inches an hour as was the case in the height of this past storm, it's going to take not only trains at night but trains with a high frequency to keep everything running smoothly.

Thanks. I would rather see the train run all night in a snowstorm than not be able to run at the start of business the next day. They always say don't go out if you don't have to, but there are some that may still have to, and a limited amount of service on a few key routes is better than none at all. But as I see the coverage of the East Coast Storms, I can see it would be hard to maintain even that. Throughout December and January, I had a temp job as a janitor at a fish processing plant in Ballard, and had the closest we came to a winter storm yet, it froze but no snow. Had two concerns, getting to work, and avoid slipping into the Lake Washington Ship Canal when I got there. The last one easy to avoid, just hang onto a railing, the former, would have been tricky. I was reporting to work before the supervisors showed up. Although I had another temp job once when we had the threat of snow working at a warehouse in the Greater Duwamish Industrial Area part of Seattle, that one the boss handed out the company's phone number to the temps, to update on whether they were open during a snowstorm. The irony about this one, it was a ski company's warehouse!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users